Apache 1.3.9 and htdigest

Post by Lars Latha » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

for authentication of users on my apache webserver I want to use
htdigest. So I created a new htdigest database file. Now my .htaccess
file looks like this:

    AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache/conf/.htpasswd
    AuthGroupFile /usr/local/apache/conf/.htgroup
    AuthDigestFile /usr/local/apache/conf/.htdigest
    AuthName java
    AuthType Digest

    <Limit GET POST>
    require group java
    </Limit>

But when I connect to the directory containing this .htaccess file,
using the Netscape browser, I get an error message telling me that on my
web server is something misconfigured.

Now when I delete the line "AuthDigestFile
/usr/local/apache/conf/.htdigest" and change the entry AuthType from
Digest to Basic, everything works fine.

Can anybody tell me what goes wrong?

Thanks, Lars.

Apache 1.3.9 and htdigest

Post by Joshua Sliv » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

[...]

Quote:> But when I connect to the directory containing this .htaccess file,
> using the Netscape browser, I get an error message telling me that on my
> web server is something misconfigured.
> Now when I delete the line "AuthDigestFile
> /usr/local/apache/conf/.htdigest" and change the entry AuthType from
> Digest to Basic, everything works fine.

The current version of Netscape does not support digest authentication,
to the best of my knowledge.

By the way, you should get rid of the <Limit> and </Limit> lines
which are not needed and are a possible security risk.  Read
the docs.

--
Joshua Slive

http://finance.commerce.ubc.ca/~slive/

Apache 1.3.9 and htdigest

Post by Your Nam » Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Hello,

> for authentication of users on my apache webserver I want to use
> htdigest. So I created a new htdigest database file. Now my .htaccess
> file looks like this:

>     AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache/conf/.htpasswd
>     AuthGroupFile /usr/local/apache/conf/.htgroup
>     AuthDigestFile /usr/local/apache/conf/.htdigest
>     AuthName java
>     AuthType Digest

>     <Limit GET POST>
>     require group java
>     </Limit>

> But when I connect to the directory containing this .htaccess file,
> using the Netscape browser, I get an error message telling me that on my
> web server is something misconfigured.

I'm pretty sure that netscape does not support digest authentication.  If I
understand the documentation at the mozilla.org site (and its relation to
netscape), it will not be supported, or at least isn't yet, in upcoming
versions. The current docs at the apache web site state that "the only major
browsers which support digest authentication are Internet Explorer 5.0 and
Amaya". IE 5 does in fact seem to work w/ digest authentication. I haven't
looked at Amaya.
Dale Brewe