Bug in CERN httpd v 3.0A on HP-UX ver 10 ?

Bug in CERN httpd v 3.0A on HP-UX ver 10 ?

Post by Anders Klintin » Thu, 03 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

I have a problem when running the httpd ver 3.0A as root on
HP-UX version 10 (uname -srm gave : "HP-UX B.10.01 9000/712").
And I am beginning to wonder whether I have stumpled across a
bug in the httpd program.

The time is wrong by 6-7 hours so that a script executed by the
server executing the ll command will report the date of a file as:

test1.txt         Mar 21 07:53
test2.txt         Apr  1 06:02

whereas the ll command on the unix terminal would report

test1.txt         Mar 21 13:53
test2.txt         Apr  1 13:02

So before introducing the summertime the error is 6 hours - after
it is 7 hours.

The problem is not present when I start the daemon on port 8080
as non-root user - then the same result is produced.

I have searched 'everywhere' on the net for pointers to similar
problems/reports/fixes but to no avail.

Is this a known bug ? Or am I just too inexperienced setting up
this kind of server ?

Any help is appreciated.

regards
Anders

Anders Klinting, M.Sc., Ph.D.
Danish Hydraulic Institute
Agern Alle 5
DK-2970 - Horsholm - Denmark
phone : (45) 45 769 555
direct: (45) 45 179 345
fax   : (45) 45 762 567

www   : http://www.dhi.dk

1. CERN httpd 3.0 on HP-UX 9.05: Restricting access to group of machines

Hello,

This must be a stupid question, but I don't seem to be able to crack
it.....

I've been trying to create a set of local pages, which I do not want
to be accessible from outside our domain. I installed the CERN httpd
server (3.0) on a HP running HP-UX 9.05 and put the following lines
in the configuration file:

UserId  www
GroupId web
Pass    /*      /disk2/web/*
Protection LOCAL {
        UserId          www
        GroupId         web
        AuthType        Basic

Protect /local/* LOCAL

The idea is that the files in the /disk2/web/local tree will only
be accessible from machine1.our.domain (later this should become
*.our.domain, but for testing I want to restrict it to one
machine).

The files in the /disk2/web are all owned by user www. The protection
for both group and others is --- (i.e. 0).

The result is that I can read all the files on ALL machines. So, even
the ones under local.

While running verbose while accessing a page under /local the server
actually says:
        AccessOk.... No protect rule nor ACL
That is, it does not seem to know that I defined a Protect for
/local/* It does acknowledge the definition when it starts up.

I tried several things
1. replacing /local/* by /disk2/web/local/*,
   result: no change
2. replacing the UserId of the files under local to something else
      than www and also changing this field in the Protection definition
   result: files cannot be accessed from any machine
3. defining not only the name but also the IP number in the GetMask
      field
   result: no change

So, I'm stuck. I must say that the documentation is pretty
useless. That is it's great if you know what it is about, but it's
rather obscure for a newcomer.

So, who will enlighten me?

Many thanks in advance.

Garrelt Mellema

--

Stockholm Observatory               | Phone: +46 8 164462
S-13336 Saltsj?baden                | FAX:   +46 8 717 4719

2. S3 Trio 3D/2X config file - HELP!!!!

3. NCSA httpd and hp-ux 10.x

4. Ibill scripts

5. HP-UX 10.X and HTTPD

6. bresults login statement

7. HTTPD work on HP-UX 10.X

8. Apache problem: Not enough space: couldn't spawn child process

9. Automated SysAdmin; Dot Files; HP-UX porting (ver: May 10, 2003)

10. Installing Crack5.0a on HP-UX 10.20

11. CERN HTTPD 3.0A , still having zombies !?

12. Difference between HP-UX 10.10 and HP-UX 10.20