SSI under apache 1.3.3 won't execute Unix commands

SSI under apache 1.3.3 won't execute Unix commands

Post by Tony Ka » Thu, 18 Feb 1999 04:00:00

My web service provider just upgraded from Apache 1.2.x to 1.3.x

My SSI files stopped working correctly. The problem is with the ones that call
Unix commands like 'date' 'cat' 'grep'

SSI pages that call local (in the same directory) CGI files still work.

This still works:

  <!--#exec cmd="./logdir.cgi"-->

This no longer works:

  <!--#exec cmd="date '+%a ...  %h %d, %Y ... %T'"-->

Any suggestions?

Visit our web sites:
 Techno-Impressionist Museum:  http://www.techno-impressionist.com
 TLC Systems:                  http://www.tlc-systems.com

Post by Joshua Sliv » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> My web service provider just upgraded from Apache 1.2.x to 1.3.x
> My SSI files stopped working correctly. The problem is with the ones that call
> Unix commands like 'date' 'cat' 'grep'
> SSI pages that call local (in the same directory) CGI files still work.
> This still works:
>   <!--#exec cmd="./logdir.cgi"-->
> This no longer works:
>   <!--#exec cmd="date '+%a ...  %h %d, %Y ... %T'"-->
> Any suggestions?

What does "no longer works" mean?  What is in the error log?
What is in the resulting HTML file?

1. Maybe a PATH problem?  Try including the full path to the excecutable.

2. You should have a space between the end of the cmd and the -->.

--
Joshua Slive

http://finance.commerce.ubc.ca/~slive/

Post by Sevo Still » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> My web service provider just upgraded from Apache 1.2.x to 1.3.x

> My SSI files stopped working correctly. The problem is with the ones that call
> Unix commands like 'date' 'cat' 'grep'

> SSI pages that call local (in the same directory) CGI files still work.

> This still works:

>   <!--#exec cmd="./logdir.cgi"-->

> This no longer works:

>   <!--#exec cmd="date '+%a ...  %h %d, %Y ... %T'"-->

> Any suggestions?

"exec cmd" is rather evil, but it did (for compatibilities sake) not
change in 1.3. Your provider presumably changed the startup script for
apache to use a more restricted PATH, a different shell or a chroot
environment. In any case, unlimited "exec cmd" is nothing a good
provider would want to offer on a user-managed virtual host, as the
security implications are quite severe, and your provider may
intentionally have blocked it. Ask your provider about alternatives!

Sevo

--
Sevo Stille

1. Porting SSI from Apache to NT/IIS--won't execute

We are porting some sites from Unix/Apache to NT 4.0+IIS 4.0+latest
version of ActiveState perl for Win32, and server side includes (i.e.
<!--# exec cgi=...>) are failing to execute. Do we have to declare some
folders to be ExecCGI (as we do with folders in Apache) and if so, how
to we do it?
--John
...and, where should we have looked to figure this out without bothering

you all?

  john.vcf
< 1K Download

2. cvs/tcsh/xvnews for solaris 7

3. Executing SSI unix commands - eeeeek!

4. Can I run Linux on this system?

5. exec won't execute (SSI)

6. smp files for SCO OS5.0.5a

7. APACHE CGI's won't execute (forbidden) whats the deal?

8. Xfree cut & paste in vi /w mouse

9. response 304 is rare in apache 2.0 + SSI files won't refresh

10. SSI on Apache won't parse

11. executing command on win/95 or NT from Unix

12. execute unix commands through apache

13. HOW Do I execute Window's command from UNIX box - PS reply soon