NEED A UNIX EMULATOR TO RUN IN DOS OR WINDOWS 31/95

NEED A UNIX EMULATOR TO RUN IN DOS OR WINDOWS 31/95

Post by tidb.. » Sat, 06 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hello,
 I've been assigned the task of administrating our local area network
which is uxis sr5. I know very little about unix. Is there a program
that I can run in windows 95 or dos that emulates unix? Something that
can teach me the basics of maneuvering around the directories and
writing small programs with the vi editor? Thanks in advance  Dean

NEED A UNIX EMULATOR TO RUN IN DOS OR WINDOWS 31/95

Post by Brian Hartsfie » Sun, 07 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello,
> I've been assigned the task of administrating our local area network
>which is uxis sr5. I know very little about unix. Is there a program
>that I can run in windows 95 or dos that emulates unix?

You can't emulate unix on windows 95.  What I would suggest is that
you go to the bookstore and get you a good book on Unix - there are
many and start from there.

You might also want to download a copy of Linux and load it on a
machine at home (or put it on your Win95 machine as well and make the
system dual boot) so you can work more with it.  Like anything else
the more you work with it the more you will learn. I didn't really
learn Unix until I loaded Linux at home.

NEED A UNIX EMULATOR TO RUN IN DOS OR WINDOWS 31/95

Post by Alexander N. Andreye » Sun, 07 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Gentlemen, this is not the topic to be discussed in the newsgroup about WWW
servers...

Quote:>You can't emulate unix on windows 95.

You can. There are at least 2 packages that provide Unix-like environment
(shell, gcc, GNU tools etc.) on Win32 systems. One is GnuWin32
(http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/) and another is U/WIN
(http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/uwin/). Of course, they are not
substitutes for real Unix systems.

NEED A UNIX EMULATOR TO RUN IN DOS OR WINDOWS 31/95

Post by tidb.. » Mon, 08 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Thanks for the responses on the two web sites. I will check them out.
Also I'd like to apologize to the moron who I offended for posting a
unix question in a unix newsgroup.

Quote:>Hello,

Post by Mike Mill » Tue, 09 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>Hello,
> I've been assigned the task of administrating our local area network
>which is uxis sr5. I know very little about unix. Is there a program
>that I can run in windows 95 or dos that emulates unix? Something that
>can teach me the basics of maneuvering around the directories and
>writing small programs with the vi editor? Thanks in advance  Dean

There is a DOS package out on the download sites that has most of the
unix utilities in it. I don't remember the name but I think if you go
to Shareware.com and search for UNIX it will turn up.
Mike Miller

NEED A UNIX EMULATOR TO RUN IN DOS OR WINDOWS 31/95

Post by Andrew Willia » Tue, 09 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Thanks for the responses on the two web sites. I will check them out.
>Also I'd like to apologize to the moron who I offended for posting a
>unix question in a unix newsgroup.

This is comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix  for the discussion of web
servers that run under unix.  Try comp.unix.admin instead.

NEED A UNIX EMULATOR TO RUN IN DOS OR WINDOWS 31/95

Post by Simon Broo » Sat, 13 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Gentlemen, this is not the topic to be discussed in the newsgroup about WWW
> servers...

Agreed...

Quote:

>>You can't emulate unix on windows 95.

> You can.

So don't post flame bait and trolls. I have rarely seen a statement
I considered more brazenly false.

Cheers

Simon

--