HELP-Apache limit on POST data length?

Post by David Michael » Thu, 11 Jul 1996 04:00:00

My confusion has 3 parts:

1>
In the process of trying to debug why my Apache server often enters
a runaway CPU-burning loop upon some types of POST accesses to one of
our cgi-bin scripts, I have run into the following question?

in mod_cgi.c, cgi_handler(), argsbuffer is declared as
        char argsbuffer[HUGE_STRING_LEN] (which is #defined as 8192)

from what I can tell,this seems to be a limit on the maximum size of
a POST?  Can anyone shed any light on the subject?

2>
My problem specifically is that the server never seems to leave the
following loop from mod_cgi.c, lines 320-325, cgi_handler():

while (ramaining > 0) {
   int len_read, len_to_read = remaining;
   if (len_to_read > HUGE_STRING_LEN) len_to_read = HUGE_STRING_LEN;
   len_read = read_client_block (r, argsbuffer, len_to_read);
   if (len_to_read == 0) break;

Quote:}

read_client_block() always seems to return the same block, forever, why?

3>
Finally, is_included is often a huge value like 8712, and since it is
declared immediately after argsbuffer, perhaps argsbuffer is overflowing
into it? Is this possible?

David Michaels

Post by $Bill Luebker » Tue, 16 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> My confusion has 3 parts:

> 1>
> In the process of trying to debug why my Apache server often enters
> a runaway CPU-burning loop upon some types of POST accesses to one of
> our cgi-bin scripts, I have run into the following question?

> in mod_cgi.c, cgi_handler(), argsbuffer is declared as
>         char argsbuffer[HUGE_STRING_LEN] (which is #defined as 8192)

> from what I can tell,this seems to be a limit on the maximum size of
> a POST?  Can anyone shed any light on the subject?

> 2>
> My problem specifically is that the server never seems to leave the
> following loop from mod_cgi.c, lines 320-325, cgi_handler():

> while (ramaining > 0) {
>    int len_read, len_to_read = remaining;
>    if (len_to_read > HUGE_STRING_LEN) len_to_read = HUGE_STRING_LEN;
>    len_read = read_client_block (r, argsbuffer, len_to_read);

I would add the following here:

     remaining -= len_read;
     len_to_read -= len_read;

Quote:>    if (len_to_read == 0) break;
> }
> read_client_block() always seems to return the same block, forever, why?

> 3>
> Finally, is_included is often a huge value like 8712, and since it is
> declared immediately after argsbuffer, perhaps argsbuffer is overflowing
> into it? Is this possible?

No argsbuffer is limited to HUGE_STRING_LEN.

--
  ,-/-  __      _  _         $Bill Luebkert
 (_/   /  )    // //       DBE Collectibles

1. Apache: Limits on amount of POST data?

Hello,

I'm writing a application that will submit it's data to an Apache webserver.
I'd like to know about limits (if any) imposed on the amount of data I can
send using a POST request. And: is it beneficial to use HTTP/1.1 instead of
HTTP/1.0?

The server is either the latest Apache 1.2.x or 1.3.x running on the latest
(stable) version of FreeBSD.

TIA,
Jeroen

2. [TRIVIAL] spelling fix for page-writeback.c

3. Post form data in (to) Coldfusion (POST help?)

4. Bonehead mistake! Need /usr/openwin/lib/libXext.so.0

5. Apache/POST/Content-length

6. Questions about qmail

7. Sending XML data to Apache web server and capturing this sent data from the Apache server

8. How to program Assembly in Linux?

9. HELP avenrun length data

10. Apache JServ Limited the Size of POST Requests?

11. Apache/Solaris slow POSTing large file using enctype="multipart/form-data"

12. Apache JServ Limited the Size of POST Requests?