URL format

Post by Will » Mon, 12 Jul 1999 04:00:00

To access the home sub-directory I have to use the URL
http://www.mysite.com/home/. How I want to access that
sub-directory is http://home.mysite.com. Is this possible
and how is it done. I want to be prepared when I approach my
ISP with this otherwise I may hear that it can't be done.

Thanks,
Will

URL format

Post by Will » Thu, 15 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I thought this would be an easy one for you guys.

Anybody have an answer?

Will

Quote:> To access the home sub-directory I have to use the URL
> http://www.mysite.com/home/. How I want to access that
> sub-directory is http://home.mysite.com. Is this possible
> and how is it done. I want to be prepared when I approach
my
> ISP with this otherwise I may hear that it can't be done.

> Thanks,
> Will

URL format

Post by stef.. » Thu, 15 Jul 1999 04:00:00

It's not that tough, it's only uncommon so that your ISP probably
doesn't have any automated procedure for it. And it takes up more
resources than the usual way:
- home.mysite.com need to be setup within DNS (named)
- there need to be an entry in the webserver config for this
  server
- unless your clients use only newer browsers (which send a "Host:"-
  header) you need an IP address for the new host

Because of these steps the admins of this site need to be involved
whenever you want to have such a new host (e.g for every sub-directory
you want to publish this way), And most won't do it because it requires
a manual setup which is a nightmare to maintain afterwards.

In theory it should be possible to build a DNS server which automatically
assigns a CNAME home.mysite.com to www.mysite.com if it sees that there
is a suitable subdirectory there. A CNAME is just another name for
the same IP-address and if your webserver setup is based on IP and not
on server names than you wouldn't need to change anything there. But
it would require that the clients browser supports the "Host:"-header
which probably >95% do.  I'm not aware of such a product/hack but it
might well be that an ISP already offers or will offer similar things
just to be competative.

For now it would be easier to request a new domain (either a second-level
or some third level by some of these ml.org, ddns.org etc. providers)
and automatically redirect the users to your site from there.

>I thought this would be an easy one for you guys.

>Anybody have an answer?

>Will

>> To access the home sub-directory I have to use the URL
>> http://www.mysite.com/home/. How I want to access that
>> sub-directory is http://home.mysite.com. Is this possible
>> and how is it done. I want to be prepared when I approach
>my
>> ISP with this otherwise I may hear that it can't be done.

>> Thanks,
>> Will

URL format

Post by Ron Klatchk » Thu, 15 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> > To access the home sub-directory I have to use the URL
> > http://www.mysite.com/home/. How I want to access that
> > sub-directory is http://home.mysite.com. Is this possible
> > and how is it done. I want to be prepared when I approach my
> > ISP with this otherwise I may hear that it can't be done.
> I thought this would be an easy one for you guys.

It is when all the data is provided.  You didn't bother to mention what
HTTP server your ISP is running.

The basic answer is that you'll need to create a new DNS entry for
home.mysite.com and then have the ISP create a new name based virtual
host (assuming your not going to get a unique IP).  The details of
creating virtual hosts is HTTP server specific.

moo

URL format

Post by Will » Thu, 15 Jul 1999 04:00:00

OK, my host is running Redhat 6.0 / Apache 1.3.6. How's that
for details. The reason I have requested this info is that
the sysadmin at my host (small local ISP) is a very busy man
and I thought if I could hand him the info on a silver
platter it would get done quicker.

Thanks to all,
Will

> > > To access the home sub-directory I have to use the URL
> > > http://www.mysite.com/home/. How I want to access that
> > > sub-directory is http://home.mysite.com. Is this
possible
> > > and how is it done. I want to be prepared when I
approach my
> > > ISP with this otherwise I may hear that it can't be
done.

> > I thought this would be an easy one for you guys.

> It is when all the data is provided.  You didn't bother to
mention what
> HTTP server your ISP is running.

> The basic answer is that you'll need to create a new DNS
entry for
> home.mysite.com and then have the ISP create a new name
based virtual
> host (assuming your not going to get a unique IP).  The
details of
> creating virtual hosts is HTTP server specific.

> moo
------------
>           Ron Klatchko - Manager, Advanced Technology
Group
>            UCSF Library and Center for Knowledge
Management

1. Decoding URL formatted data fields

I'm writing a cgi interface in Korn Shell to maintain a database. Some of
the fields may contain spaces or other special characters which are passed
in the $QUERY_STRING as plusses and hex characters. How do I decode this
back to the "real" characters? Thanks.

Blaine Owens

2. XFree86 setup problem...

3. IPFW for blocking ip range(in URL format)

4. Honest Linux Users

5. SQUID'S ACCESS.LOG AND URL FORMAT

6. Telnet/ftp -- simplex

7. . file format URL, oulu

8. Newbie question with sed

9. Netscape Commerce Server (Redirecting URLs and URL Aliases)

10. Redirecting Virtual Host URL to real URL - HOW?

11. mod_rewrite URL-->URL

12. Apache mod_rewrite question, url rewrite, url forward

13. avoid warning of redirection to non-secure url from secure url