Win or Lose Cookies???

Post by Joe Kupiszewsk » Thu, 10 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to explain to me why I would
or would not want cookies on my server.  I am beginning to receive a few
complaints and while I know how to turn it off, what am I losing?  I guess
my real question is what the hell are these cookies doing for me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe Kupiszewski
http://www.packet.net/

Win or Lose Cookies???

Post by Carlo Marcelo Arenas Beló » Thu, 10 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to explain to me why I would or would not want cookies on my server

Well those cookies are important not for you but for the http servers
that you visit frequently.

You tell you were surfing and getting servers INTO your server?, that is
not the way cookies work.  A web server drops cookies just into your
client web browser machine.

Quote:> my real question is what the hell are these cookies doing for me?

Those cookies are doing a (maybe) great job for you, because they are
usually used to customize the pages that are sended to an old client.

The only thing you gonna loose is that those servers can't get trace of
you.

I think you should keep cookies on, there are just a few bytes long.

Win or Lose Cookies???

Post by Jay R. Ashwor » Thu, 10 Apr 1997 04:00:00

: I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to explain to me why I would
: or would not want cookies on my server.  I am beginning to receive a few
: complaints and while I know how to turn it off, what am I losing?  I guess
: my real question is what the hell are these cookies doing for me?

Well, I'll stick my two cents in here.

A cookie is a header handed to a browser (if the browser doesn't hand
the server one first) which places some 'state' into the otherwise
stateless HTTP protocol.  It allows the server to keep track of visits
from a particular person (as opposed to, say, just a particular site).

In general, cookies don't cause problems... except that sites which
display banner ads sometimes send to users' browsers cookies from the
_ad generating_ site.  The problem with this is one of personal
privacy: any ad site which sends cookies through an inline link to a
browser can, by definition, track that browser's footsteps through the
web... something many personal privacy advocates -- including myself --
find unacceptable.

One such violator was doubleclick.net, who places banner ads on
Mindspring's home page, among others.  They seem to have gotten
religion, however, as the cookiesno longer appear, this past month.

In general, my personal rule is that I refuse cookies with a domain
basename different from that of the site I'm browsing.

This is also the rule I recommend to others; I'd like to see browsers
incorporate rules based acceptance for this, but I have no reason to
think they will; cookies exists to further the commercialization of the
web, and without them, many potential advertisers won't.

Cheers,
-- jra
--

Member of the Technical Staff             Unsolicited Commercial Emailers Sued
The Suncoast Freenet      "To really blow up an investment house requires

Win or Lose Cookies???

Post by Rob Hartil » Thu, 10 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to explain to me why I would
> or would not want cookies on my server.  I am beginning to receive a few
> complaints and while I know how to turn it off, what am I losing?  I guess
> my real question is what the hell are these cookies doing for me?

If you need to ask, they're doing nothing but annoying your users. Switch
them off.

Only use them if you have an application for them. The old "mod_cookies.c"
that came with Apache 1.1 was for performing user tracking through logfiles.
Many people saw the module name and thought they might one day like to
use cookies for something so compiled it... they misunderstood what
mod_cookies was for and what it'd do from a user's point of view.

--
Rob Hartill                              Internet Movie Database (Ltd)
http://us.imdb.com/tour   .. a site for sore eyes.

Win or Lose Cookies???

Post by Rob Hartil » Sun, 13 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> In general, my personal rule is that I refuse cookies with a domain
> basename different from that of the site I'm browsing.

> This is also the rule I recommend to others; I'd like to see browsers
> incorporate rules based acceptance for this, but I have no reason to
> think they will.

It's *very* likely to happen. The HTTP working group has
recently tackled the problem of 3rd party cookies. Check w3.org

--
Rob Hartill                              Internet Movie Database (Ltd)
http://us.imdb.com/tour   .. a site for sore eyes.

1. Redhat 8 Multiboot Boot with Win2k/Win 98 - losing Win

I need to find out where I am going wrong while trying to add Redhat 8
to an existing multiboot Win2k/Win98 system.

First - I have a separate Promise Ultra100 card driving a 60 gig IBM
(first drive with both Windows systems on it, the second drive is a 5
gig drive with no partitions currently on it.  The Promise card is not
part of the motherboard.

In the past, I have routinely lost access to Windows partitions while
trying to add Redhat Linux, especially Win2k or NT 4 (depending how
far back I go).

I have tried avoiding writing LILO over the Win MBR, tried the second
drive install but keep having problems on the Windows side.  I have
used Partition Magic in the past along with Boot Magic some time ago
and that didn't seem to resolve the problem.

I'm going to fully back up my current system and try to get this up
and running and would like any suggestions/feedback on what I might be
missing for an install like this.

It seems that with a second ide drive being completely bare that such
an installation would be a no brainer.  Any favorites for reliability
such as Boot Magic / Lilo / MS Booter??

2. BOOTP & Source Route Bridging

3. Lost cookies? (Apache)

4. gcc compile problem. Whay not !

5. Lost cookies & SSI

6. XFS does not start automatically.

7. I lost my Cookies

8. NCSA httpd1.4.1 multihost

9. My linux+Apache+mod_perl cannot recognize"print "Set-Cookie: cookie-name = Unique; "

10. Can you log specific cookies with Apache %{cookie}i log format?

11. %{Cookie}n vs. %{Cookie}i

12. apache,cookie and denying access to those whithout the cookie set

13. test SYN cookies (was Re: SYN cookies security bugfix?)