VirtualHost Directive with NCSA httpd 1.5

VirtualHost Directive with NCSA httpd 1.5

Post by Jordan Redn » Thu, 04 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I am running the new NCSA 1.5 httpd on a bsdi 2.01 server.

I am trying to get the VirtualHost directive working and
used the following code....

<VirtualHost www.gobreck.com Optional>
DocumentRoot /var/www/docs/brc
ServerName www.gobreck.com
ResourceConfig conf/gobreck_srm.conf
</VirtualHost>

In gobreck_srm.conf:
DocumentRoot is also set to /var/www/docs/brc

But when I pull up:  http://www.gobreck.com
it still is accessing /var/www/docs

Does anyone know the correct way to setup a VirtualHost
within an httpd configuration.  Obviously I am missing
something here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA, Sincerely,

Jordan Redner

System Administrator
Colorado Internet Services

Post by Chris De » Thu, 04 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>I am running the new NCSA 1.5 httpd on a bsdi 2.01 server.

>I am trying to get the VirtualHost directive working and
>used the following code....

[code snipped, since it's correct]

Quote:

>Does anyone know the correct way to setup a VirtualHost
>within an httpd configuration.  Obviously I am missing
>something here.

I hope this isn't too obvious, but have you set up your other interfaces?
Each virtual host has to resolve to a unique IP address. I don't know
how to do it on BSDI, but in general you want to setup a sub interface
on the same real interface.

If you've done that, something you might try is changing your Optional
to Required in the httpd.conf and seeing what errors get produced.

Good luck,

Chris Dent
http://www.honors.indiana.edu/%7ecdent/index.html

Post by Pau » Sat, 06 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>I am running the new NCSA 1.5 httpd on a bsdi 2.01 server.

>I am trying to get the VirtualHost directive working and
>used the following code....

><VirtualHost www.gobreck.com Optional>
>DocumentRoot /var/www/docs/brc
>ServerName www.gobreck.com
>ResourceConfig conf/gobreck_srm.conf
></VirtualHost>

>In gobreck_srm.conf:
>DocumentRoot is also set to /var/www/docs/brc

>But when I pull up:  http://www.gobreck.com
>it still is accessing /var/www/docs

>Does anyone know the correct way to setup a VirtualHost
>within an httpd configuration.  Obviously I am missing
>something here.

>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

>TIA, Sincerely,

>Jordan Redner

>System Administrator
>Colorado Internet Services

I have the same setup as you. After banging my head on this matter,
and binding to a port must not be set, i gave up. I have 50 domains
going, and 50 different httpd's, all compiled to run their own
access/srm/httpd conf files. each one with its own home page location.
i compiled each with 1 start up, and max_server to 2, so it starts three
initially. I can controll access better, and i tricked them all,
for redirect, i set http://www.ag.net/~username to redirect to
http://www.username.domain, and then the opposite. that way if theres
an old link to the old address prior to their domain name, it finds both.
Its a bsdi dns problem that eliminates the virtual host compatibilty.
Also the faq on bsdi about multi-homed hosts, and interface alaises is
wrong. i asked them to fix it. no where could i find dope on multi-homed
or the other, so i ended up scanning someone elses system for named.boot
and name.db files to stumble on the syntax for $ORIGIN.

Post by Craig Wils » Mon, 08 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>I am running the new NCSA 1.5 httpd on a bsdi 2.01 server.

>I am trying to get the VirtualHost directive working and
>used the following code....

><VirtualHost www.gobreck.com Optional>
>DocumentRoot /var/www/docs/brc
>ServerName www.gobreck.com
>ResourceConfig conf/gobreck_srm.conf
></VirtualHost>

>In gobreck_srm.conf:
>DocumentRoot is also set to /var/www/docs/brc

>But when I pull up:  http://www.gobreck.com
>it still is accessing /var/www/docs

>Does anyone know the correct way to setup a VirtualHost
>within an httpd configuration.  Obviously I am missing
>something here.

I have been able to get this to work, but I do not have the DocumentRoot
directive in the VirtualHost section of the httpd.conf file.  I only
have it for the virtual host in that host's _srm.con file.

It appears that if you want to put the DocumentRoot directive in the
VirtualHost section of the httpd.conf file, you should use the
<SRMOptions>...</SRMOptions> section.

Check out:

        http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/docs/setup/httpd/SRMOptions.html

/craig
--

Wavefront Communications, Inc. |           | voice: (612) 638-9594
1677 County Road F. W.         |           | voice: (612) 865-8794

Post by vade » Fri, 12 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>>I am running the new NCSA 1.5 httpd on a bsdi 2.01 server.

>>I am trying to get the VirtualHost directive working and
>>used the following code....

>><VirtualHost www.gobreck.com Optional>
>>DocumentRoot /var/www/docs/brc
>>ServerName www.gobreck.com
>>ResourceConfig conf/gobreck_srm.conf
>></VirtualHost>

>>In gobreck_srm.conf:
>>DocumentRoot is also set to /var/www/docs/brc

>>But when I pull up:  http://www.gobreck.com
>>it still is accessing /var/www/docs

>>Does anyone know the correct way to setup a VirtualHost
>>within an httpd configuration.  Obviously I am missing
>>something here.

>I have been able to get this to work, but I do not have the DocumentRoot
>directive in the VirtualHost section of the httpd.conf file.  I only
>have it for the virtual host in that host's _srm.con file.

>It appears that if you want to put the DocumentRoot directive in the
>VirtualHost section of the httpd.conf file, you should use the
><SRMOptions>...</SRMOptions> section.

That won't do it... I am also running into the exact same problem, and it
seems that it may not even be the web server, but the OS instead.

BSDI offers a patch that claims to fix this issue, however, that does not
work either.

Seems the common ground is BSDI, since Craig has it working...

So now the question is, what soup of OS is Craig running?

Andy

1. NCSA HTTPd NCSA/1.5.0a CGI question

Hello,

We have NCSA HTTPd NCSA/1.5.0a running as a web server.
Here's the question:

        I have a CGI script that accepts a file from
        the user using Netscape's fileupload feature.
        Then I fork a new child process in background
        to convert the file into PDF format since it
        may take from 10sec to 1min.

        However, after the parent process finished,
        Netscape is still connected to the server as
        if it still waiting for more output.

        But, the above does not happen in NCSA HTTPd NCSA/1.5.1.

        Is there a directive in httpd.conf or somewhere else
        where I can make 1.5.0a act like 1.5.1.

Thank you very much.

Raymond Yu

2. Can't boot Linux on Compaq Deskpro

3. Problems with NCSA 'DocFinder' under NCSA HTTPd 1.5

4. Sending email through multiple ISP's based on rules - can it be done?

5. NCSA 1.5 Virtualhost questions

6. Cant Install Linux With Athlon Motherboard

7. httpd 1.5 (NCSA) what user?

8. 2 problems... :S

9. slackware 3.00, 1.2.13 & NCSA httpd 1.5 log file trouble

10. Segmentation faults in NCSA HTTPD 1.5.2a on Alpha/OSF

11. help w/ NCSA HTTPd 1.5

12. NCSA httpd 1.5 errlog growing to 15Mbytes

13. NCSA httpd 1.5 and .htaccess