Setting up site to EXCLUDE "www"

Post by John Stac » Thu, 01 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Does anyone know how I can set up my www site to exclude the "www"?

What I mean is...
   Can I set up my page to be accessed as "http://page.com"
INSTEAD of "http://www.page.com"?

I saw that this is done on some sites over the internet...but does anyone
know HOW it is done?

Thanks...

           John Stacey

Post by Matt Kru » Fri, 02 Feb 1996 04:00:00

| GROUP: comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix    DATE: 31 Jan 1996 20:56:05 GMT

|    Can I set up my page to be accessed as "http://page.com"
| INSTEAD of "http://www.page.com"?
| I saw that this is done on some sites over the internet...but does anyone
| know HOW it is done?

It is a DNS issue, not a server issue.  the server doesnt care what the
name of the machine is because it never sees it.  just set up your
nameserver to make page.com and www.page.com the same machine, and you're
set.

--
Matt Kruse

http://web.sau.edu/~mkruse/
  MK-Stats: My complete log-analysis Perl script with graphical output!
                  http://web.sau.edu/~mkruse/mkstats/
       I'm published! :) See Doctor Dobb's Journal, February 1996

:
: What I mean is...
:    Can I set up my page to be accessed as "http://page.com"
: INSTEAD of "http://www.page.com"?

"Instead of"?  How about "both"?  All it takes is a pointer in
the SOA record for the domain which points to your webserver/virtualhost
IP.  Without knowing your network's topology, that's about all the useful
information I can give you.

--
    - Eric Sorenson, Satanic SysAdmins Inc. - http://satanic.org/ -

Post by Dan Anders » Fri, 02 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>Does anyone know how I can set up my www site to exclude the "www"?
>. . .  Can I set up my page to be accessed as "http://page.com"
>INSTEAD of "http://www.page.com"?

Well, ask your Internet Provider or Network Administrator (or whoever
takes care of DNS (domain name service) for your page.com to alias
page.com to www.page.com.  You can have as many names as you like for
one IP address. This is not a WWW server problem.

Bluebird Systems, 5900 La Place Court, Carlsbad, CA 92008-8806, USA

1. "How to Set Up and Maintain a WWW Site" Companion Pages

I've written a book called "How to Set Up and Maintain a WWW Site"
that will be published by Addison-Wesley in August.  It covers:

        - obtaining and configuring server software
        - writing HTML documents
        - HTML editors, converters, graphics utilities, sound
          utilities, etc, etc
        - installing 3d party CGI scripts
        - writing CGI scripts from scratch
        - technical specs on HTTP and CGI protocols
        - HTML 3 & Netscape extensions
        - security, encryption, firewalls

The companion Web pages are now online (although still a little rough
in spots), and I thought people might be interested in looking them
over.  In addition to a sample chapter (on CGI scripts), there's an
extensive resource guide with pointers to Web software, utilities,
useful CGI scripts, and sources of Web-related information.  There's
also the source code for a large number of example CGI scripts (all in
Perl) that start simple and grow increasingly more sophisticated.

The URL is:

        http://www-genome.wi.mit.edu/WWW/

Regards,

Lincoln
--
Lincoln D. Stein                Whitehead Institute/MIT Genome Center

             http://www-genome.wi.mit.edu/~lstein

2. Win95 Graphic progs => Linux

4. ipforwarding

6. Where to find BTTVGRAB ?? FTP's don't work

7. bash : "set -o emacs" and "set -o vi"

8. setting cookies using SSI's (Apache's mod_include)

9. How to distinguish "robot" and "normal user" in WWW?

10. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

11. Pointer to WWW site for "safe SUID code" guidelines/examples?

12. Windows www Browsers reports "transmission interrupt" errors when run against Linux httpd web site.

13. Web site containing info on "famous" www security breaches???