HELP!: Netscape 3.0 & Virtual Servers & Log Files

HELP!: Netscape 3.0 & Virtual Servers & Log Files

Post by Vic Macapaga » Sat, 30 May 1998 04:00:00

I already tried Netscape's solutions at:

        http://help.netscape.com/kb/server/971217-4.html
    &       http://help.netscape.com/kb/server/960804-21.html

and they did not work.

I want a set up where each virtual server has its own document root AND
its own log file.

Netscape's software virtual server just sets up a "single-page" home page
and that is it (What good is that?).  All links on it fail because they
refer to subdirectories.  Also, the the multiple log file solution in the
URL listed above does not work.

Netscape's hardware virtual server allows set up of different document
roots, but all accesses to any document root goes to the same log file for
all hardware virtual servers.

e.g.
    URL           dir           log
www.aaa.com = /export/aaa = /var/log/access
www.bbb.com = /export/bbb = /var/log/access
www.ccc.com = /export/ccc = /var/log/access

Desperate for help!...thanks...

HELP!: Netscape 3.0 & Virtual Servers & Log Files

Post by Vic Macapaga » Thu, 04 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I haven't seen these articles, but we set up a separate server instance (i.e.,
> a new button on the server admin page) for each virtual server.  Then
> within the settings for that server you can specify the doc root, cgi-bin root,
> and logfile locations.

Thanks for the input, and I hope you can help me further...

Did you have to set each server up on a different port other than the
default port 80?  If you did, then you have to refer to each different
server as
"http://www.virtual-server-1.com:81/"    and
"http://www.virtual-server-2.com:82/"    and so on and so forth, correct?

I'd rather not have to specify the port number, which is why I went with
the hardware virtual server setup, where each URL is bound to a different
TCP/IP address, not a different port.

Only problem is that a hit to "http://www.state.hi.us/index.html" goes in
the log file as a hit to file "/index.html".

A hit to "http://gov.state.hi.us/index.html", which is the identical file
of "http://www.state.hi.us/gov/index.html", goes in the same log file ALSO
as a hit to "/index.html", which is wrong.

If I had a separate log file for each, then there would be no problem, but
I don't see where I can configure this on the screens the Netscape
Enterprise Server Administrator provides.

Quote:> > I want a set up where each virtual server has its own document root AND
> > its own log file.

> > Netscape's software virtual server just sets up a "single-page" home page
> > and that is it (What good is that?).  All links on it fail because they
> > refer to subdirectories.

> I don't have a clue what you mean by this.

For example:

When I access "http://www.state.hi.us/gov/", all the links to
subdirectores work fine, and images refered to in subdirectories also
show up.  Now if I create a "software virtual server" configuration called
"http://test.state.hi.us/" and have that point to the same directory as
"http://www.state.hi.us/gov/", all of a sudden, none of the links work
anymore.  In effect, I only have that single page for that entire
department because none of their other linked pages work, not to mention
images that were supposed to show on that page.

Quote:> The default is that all the access go into a single log file, but you can
> change that default.

Do you know where to configure this?

Thanks for the input....Aloha from Hawaii...

Victor

1. SOLVED ! Re: HELP!: Netscape 3.0 & Virtual Servers & Log Files

You know, before I even posted my questions, I had tried everything that
you mentioned, but I always got an error saying "invalid port
number...port 80 already in use..." or some error with that content in the
message.

However...

After reading your e-mail, and retrying, it now all of a sudden WORKS!!!
I am not sure why!  I have an inkling that maybe it has something to do
with the DNS.  Maybe mine was slow to propagate the changes or something.
Or I don't know what it does, but I did issue a command "ifconfig plumb".

Whatevers...I'll figure it out later.  Thanks again for your help though.

Aloha from Hawaii!!

Victor

[snip snip]

2. auto dial-in to ISP for local Net

4. network setup problem

6. Special Edition Using Linux

7. 没有人用中文吗?

8. Solaris x86 2.1 and PS2

9. &&&&&& NEEED HELP COMPAQ AND XXXXXXXXXXX

10. &&&&&& SUGGESTION ??? &&&&&&&&

11. question:Netscape Server & virtual servers

12. Netscape 3.0 & Helpers (RealAudio & Acrobat Reader)

13. apache-1.2.6 && netscape 3.0