syntax of .htaccess file

Post by Thomas Holm » Tue, 20 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I am trying to ask users for username and passwork when then enter a
subdirectory.

I have a Apache 1.3 server, but I can't find any documentation of what
should be inside the .htaccess file

Can you help

??

syntax of .htaccess file

:
: I have a Apache 1.3 server, but I can't find any documentation of what
: should be inside the .htaccess file

www.apache.org/, check out the server documentation and the FAQs.

However here is a sample file.

AuthType Basic
AuthName "My secured Directory"
AuthUserFile ./.htpasswd

<Limit GET POST>
require valid-user
</Limit>

Check out "htpasswd" utility for creating a password file.

:
: Can you help
:
: ??

syntax of .htaccess file

Post by Alan J. Flavel » Tue, 20 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> AuthType Basic
> AuthName "My secured Directory"
> AuthUserFile ./.htpasswd

Don't put password files into the document tree.  Read the paragraph
"Security" at http://www.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_auth.html#authuserfile

Quote:> <Limit GET POST>
> require valid-user
> </Limit>

Don't use <Limit...> unless you really mean it.  I have a strong hunch
that you don't really want to permit password-free access to all methods
except GET (and HEAD) and POST.  Read the cautionary text at
http://www.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#limit

Otherwise it would be more helpful to point questioners to the actual
documentation, where they'd be more likely to read the warnings that you
appear to have ignored.

best regards

syntax of .htaccess file

Post by John Dy » Tue, 20 Jul 1999 04:00:00

http://www.webservepro.com/techsupport/htaccess.html

Nice little tutorial on .htaccess and password protected dirs.

--

Regards,

John Dye
Webmaster - World Webserver, Inc.
" We Bring The World To You . . . "
http://wwsi.net
ICQ #39754109
909-889-0879

Quote:> I am trying to ask users for username and passwork when then enter a
> subdirectory.

> I have a Apache 1.3 server, but I can't find any documentation of what
> should be inside the .htaccess file

> Can you help

> ??

syntax of .htaccess file

Post by Alan J. Flavel » Tue, 20 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> http://www.webservepro.com/techsupport/htaccess.html

> Nice little tutorial on .htaccess and password protected dirs.

Well, it's friendly, but I don't see any warning that the password file
should be kept out of the document hierarchy.  It merely hints:

|   Note that the password file will be in another directory

without giving any specific reason.

And it repeats the very thing that Apache cautions against:

      <Limit GET>
      require user pumpkin
      </Limit>

I can't remember whether there was any reason for doing that back
in the days of NCSA HTTPD, but Apache's views on the matter have been
repeated often enough.  Yet over and over, this bit of cargo-cult
with <Limit...> keeps being dragged out, as if no-one writing tutorials
could ever be bothered to read the documentation.

best regards

syntax of .htaccess file

Post by Michael Rudolp » Tue, 20 Jul 1999 04:00:00

A good description is at
http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/docs-1.5/tutorials/user.html

Quote:>I am trying to ask users for username and passwork when then enter a
>subdirectory.

>I have a Apache 1.3 server, but I can't find any documentation of what
>should be inside the .htaccess file

>Can you help

>??

1. Syntax for listing multiple IPs in an .htaccess file

Hi,

All I've discovered about the syntax allowed for listing multiple IPs for
allow or deny in an .htaccess file goes like this:

Order deny,allow
Deny from all
Allow from
 4.20.734. \
 12.29.116.138 \

etc

where 4.20.734 would allow through everyone from 4.20.734.0 to 4.20.734.999

Does anyone know how one would express something like this:

4.20.734.100 - 4.20.734.344

Trying to avoid writing out huge lists.

Has anyone tried including a link here to an SQL or LDAP server that would
hold the appropriate information?

Thanks

T. West

2. Transparent Proxy

3. .htaccess File Syntax

4. Data Aquisition using Linux

5. Syntax etc. of Apache .htaccess file

6. Proxy / Wvdial

7. Apache .htaccess file syntax

8. Help me to setup Socks5

9. Simple .htaccess syntax question

10. OnDeny syntax error in .htaccess

11. .htaccess mod_Write syntax

12. intentional syntax error shows .htaccess not being read

13. does this syntax in .htaccess works