Netscape Enterprise server v3.x problem with expect "telnet" script...

Netscape Enterprise server v3.x problem with expect "telnet" script...

Post by Star Strid » Thu, 23 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

Using Netscape Enterprise server running SSL (https) on Solaris 2.5.1

A Perl CGI script running under Perl 5.004_04 which makes a system()
call to an tcl/expect script.  The expect script does a telnet to a
remote host.  Everything works as expected (no pun intended ;-)  )
when it used to run under Netscape Enterprise Server 2.x but after
we upgraded to 3.x the expect portion fails to work.

The expect script still gets invoked, and it does spawn a telnet
session to the remote host.  what happens is that the telnet
session hangs at the point just before it displays the
"login: " prompt.

Strange thing is that if the Netscape Enterprise server is started
using the web-based Netscape Administrative interface with the
Java Applet and all, the script failed the telnet

BUT, this is a big BUT!  if I start the Netscape web server from the
command line using the start script, the Perl CGI script with the
expect telnet runs fine.  I get the login prompt and all.

I dump the environment the CGI script is running under and the
same enviroment variables are available whether the server
was started using the Administrative Server or from the command
line.

Has anyone else had this problem?  What is the solution?

TIA

Franklin

1. Netscape Enterprise Server: filtering ".." & "//"

I posted this a few days ago and received no answers. so perhaps it
never left out site, so I am posting this again. My apologies if you see
this twice.  :-)

We installed the Netscape Enterprise server and to our horror,
discovered that the server filtered out all URLs that had within them
either ".." or "//". Now there is a directive in the file obj.conf
called
        PathCheck fn="unix-uri-clean"

that if removed from this file will allow URLs with ".." & "//" to be
serviced. But again to our horror, the server then had no problem
allowing users to go above document root!! We had previously used the
NCSA server and this server allowed ".." & "//" but also stopped any
requests above document root. So, is there any way we can get the
Enterprise server to allow ".." & "//" but not allow any request above
document root? Do I have to write a plug in? If so, does anyone have any
example code I may reuse or at least look at?

  David Dymm

  304 284-9000

2. URGENT HELP NEEDED - gzip/gunzip

3. Netscape Enterprise Server: Filtering ".." & "//"

4. can't open pty

5. Expect/Tcl Problem - "scripts expect Tcl version..."

6. freeswan pluto goes wild

8. Gnome + japanese

9. "can't fork new process" - Netscape server v3.5.1

10. differences among "ssh", "rlogin" and "telnet"

11. "dir" format of FTP servers (was: FTP Expect script)

13. "method without URI" errors for Netscape Enterprise Server