Upgrading Apache - htaccess doesn't work

Upgrading Apache - htaccess doesn't work

Post by Jeff Newto » Fri, 23 May 1997 04:00:00

I tried to upgrade from Apache1.0.5 to 1.2 and noticed that all my
htaccess passwords weren't accepted.  Does the newer version use some
different encryption for htaccess passwords?

Can anyone suggest a work around for this?  I'd hate to have to collect
and change passwords for everyone.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

--
Jeff Newton
Network Administrator

Upgrading Apache - htaccess doesn't work

Post by Paul Sutto » Sat, 24 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I tried to upgrade from Apache1.0.5 to 1.2 and noticed that all my
>htaccess passwords weren't accepted.  Does the newer version use some
>different encryption for htaccess passwords?

No, it should be fully compatible (uses the standard OS crypt()).
When you say they don't work, what exactly happens? What
is logged to the error_log? When you upgraded did you
install the new httpd.conf, srm.conf and access.conf? If so, they
will have changed a fair bit and may now be ignoring .htaccess files
or not have the same overrides or options set.

Paul
--
Apache Week ... latest Apache news ... http://www.apacheweek.com/

1. Apache .htaccess doesn't work.

Hi, there,

When I tried to limit the access to all WebPages under one of directories, I
used .access file to do so.  I use Apache 1.3.22 for Solaris 8 in my Ultra-5
box. Suppose only one user "abc" will be allowed to access the pages.

Step 1: at the destination directory, I, as "root", created a file called
.htaccess:

AuthUserFile /usr/www/dirname/.htpasswd
AuthName "The Secret Page"
AuthType Basic

<Limit GET POST>
require user abc
</Limit>

Step 2: in /usr/www/dirname, create the .htpasswd file by issuing the
following command:

htpasswd -c .htpasswd abc

Step 3: When the system asked to enter the password for this user, type it
in. Then input again to confirm the typing.

Step 4: restart the httpd daemon by:

/etc/init.d/apache restart

However, when I tested it, I could still see the pages under the destination
directory without being prompted to enter username/password. Did I miss
anything? Or anything else I should configure, for example,
/etc/apache/httpd.conf?

Thanks, Jerry

2. shell to login time logged in

3. apache .htaccess doesn't work

4. Fortune?

5. Re. bffcreate -X doesn't work Re: bffcreate -X Doesn't Work

6. what is in.rdisc ?

7. Modem doesn't work after system upgrade (but works under Win98)

8. newbie - lcd driver - frame buffer - StrongArm

9. .htaccess doesn't do anything on our Apache server.

10. htaccess doesn't work for PUT?

11. .htaccess ...hmmm. doesn't work.

12. .htaccess doesn't work

13. .htaccess doesn't work via UserDir