? multi home + multi cgi, multi email, multi log, multi support

? multi home + multi cgi, multi email, multi log, multi support

Post by Z. Zh » Mon, 20 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Is there any httpd package that could do not only multi web-home
setup, but also
        email for multi-doamin-names with their own domain-name;
        store log files for each domain-name in their own location;
        setup cgi-bin for each domain-name to have their own directory;
        support autherization and configuration for their own home
?

Does Netscape do that, OpenMarket do that, Or otehrs?

Thanks,

zhao

Post by james feldm » Sat, 25 Nov 1995 04:00:00

|>Is there any httpd package that could do not only multi web-home
|>setup, but also
|>   email for multi-doamin-names with their own domain-name;
|>   store log files for each domain-name in their own location;
|>   setup cgi-bin for each domain-name to have their own directory;
|>   support autherization and configuration for their own home
The last three are supported by netscape and apache, and probably anybody who
does virtual hosts.  I'm not really sure what you're asking with the first
question, but I THINK the answer is you do it with mx records in your DNS
server.
--
Jim Feldman, Digital Equipment Corp

My opinions are my own and in no way reflect Digital's POV (unless they're
charging somebody for me to give them).

It doesn't matter who you are, or what you've done, or think you can do.
There's a confrontation with destiny awaiting you.  Somewhere, there is
a chile you cannot eat.
                -- Daniel Pinkwater, "A Hot Time in Nairobi"

Post by Andrew Cra » Sun, 26 Nov 1995 04:00:00

> Is there any httpd package that could do not only multi web-home
> setup, but also
>         email for multi-doamin-names with their own domain-name;
>         store log files for each domain-name in their own location;
>         setup cgi-bin for each domain-name to have their own directory;
>         support autherization and configuration for their own home

You want it on a plate?

1. Multi-homed e-mail

   You need to use a mailertable in Sendmail. There's a sendmail user group
   you'll be able to get some help from. This will involve some knowledge
of sendmail re-writing rules on which there are books. It's not the most
user-friendly of config files but you'll soon get the hang of it.

2. Log files.

   Using, eg., Apache's virtual server hack, you can either store them in
a separate place or, and probably more useful, prepend a sentinel at the
beginning of the line and then grep out the results to do your logs. eg.,
on my server, all logs for personality.co.uk read something like:

You can then grep the appropriate entries out to do your stats. This has
an added advantage of keeping it all in one place and being able to do a
tail -f on the file to monitor *all* incoming requests.

3. cgi-bin: You can do /cgi-bin/username instead. This way you can more
easily manage your clients' data. You may be able to do a symbolic link
from their home-dir and allow them to access their cgi data that way.
Otherwise, allow them to run CGIs from their own site instead.

4. Authorisation and configuration from the home can sensibly and securely
be achieved using CGIs or configuration files. You'll have to decide what
you want the user to be able to configure and sort it out from there.
Sorry, can't be more helpful because I'm not sure what you want your
customers to be able to change.

Andrew.

--
Andrew Crane, Surrey, England - Internet and prepress consultant
Programming services in 'C', unix, perl, PostScript, applescript

Post by Elf Sternbe » Sun, 26 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>Is there any httpd package that could do not only multi web-home
>setup, but also
>     email for multi-doamin-names with their own domain-name;

        Email has nothing to do with httpd, and what you need is a
combination of sendmail and popmail (if you need POP) that supports
multi-home hosting.  I'm in the processing of writing a patch to the
IMAP library that supports multi-home hosting, but it's no guarantee.

Quote:>     store log files for each domain-name in their own location;
>     setup cgi-bin for each domain-name to have their own directory;
>     support autherization and configuration for their own home

        NCSA HTTPd 1.5 supports these things with the BindAddress
feature.  It's been pretty reliable so far.

                Elf !!!
--
Elf Sternberg                 Geeks are neither skilled nor curiousities,

Public key available                http://www.halcyon.com/elf/index.html

1. Multi-head query (Multi-Monitors, Multi-Cards)

Ok,

I understand multihead support in X  to a degree and I've seen a few
resources on the net, but everything I've found assumes one of two
things:
1. You are using a dual head card (matrox G450 etc)
2. You have two identical(ish) monitors.

If I had either of those (or both) I'd be so sorted. :-)

What I want to know is, can I run two different monitors off two
different cards at two different resolutions (in theory it can be done
- in practice ...)?

I'm a web developer and it's handy to be able to view sites I produce
in "end-user" size rather than on my nice big monitor.

So ideally I'd like to have my Geforce2 hooked to my big monitor and
then some other card I have kicking around (some old matrox millenium
or mystique probably) hooked to a 14/15 inch monitor running a lower
resolution.

Whether this would be running as one large desktop or two desktops
makes no odds really.

Can anybody answer this with a definite yes or no?

And then perhaps give me a few links/tips cos I'm buggered if I can
find anything of use (I've got to the point where I'm manually wading
through the docs at xfree86.org looking for anything useful).

Also if anyone knows if Windowmaker will play nice with multi desktops
on more than one monitor, that'd be good to.

Thanks.

 -- Nick.

2. All your PCI slot are belong to Microsoft.

3. multi-smtp + multi-pop email client?

4. Fontproblems with Java on AIX 4.3.2.0

5. Apache httpd/multi-homed multi-ip addresses

6. ifup and route problems with rh5.0

7. Solaris multi-threaded and multi-processor programming tools

8. Transferring Data from AS/400 onto HP712

9. Design of a server: multi-threaded or multi-processes?

10. mutexes with multi-threaded program on multi-cpu machine.

11. multi-server surveys and multi-server changes

12. Linking multi-threaded app for single- and multi-processor

13. multi-user: multi-head (monitor), keyboard, mouse, setup?