Netscape Enterprise Server -virtual software servers

Netscape Enterprise Server -virtual software servers

Post by Caroline Fenn » Fri, 25 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I have Enterprise Server 3.5.1 running on Solaris 2.5.1 sparc
machine.  I configured the server for two software virtual servers
following the directions in the manual.  But when I type in the URL
for the second virtual server, I get an error message that says
"Not Found.  The requested object does not exist on this server.
....."  The error log file says "error opening [path]"  "No such file
or directory"   It looks like the browser is trying to access the
file in the root directory of the web server, not in the subdirectory
where it is located.

What configuration am I missing that would fix this so the URL goes to the
correct directory and file??

Netscape Enterprise Server -virtual software servers

Post by nabb.. » Fri, 25 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>I have Enterprise Server 3.5.1 running on Solaris 2.5.1 sparc
>machine.  I configured the server for two software virtual servers
>following the directions in the manual.  But when I type in the URL
>for the second virtual server, I get an error message that says
>"Not Found.  The requested object does not exist on this server.
>....."  The error log file says "error opening [path]"  "No such file
>or directory"   It looks like the browser is trying to access the
>file in the root directory of the web server, not in the subdirectory
>where it is located.

>What configuration am I missing that would fix this so the URL goes to the
>correct directory and file??

when you added the home directory for the virtual server, if you have a "/"
at the start of the path, then it is an absolute path, else it treates it as
a relative path from the server primary doc directory.

if you used an absolute path, then you need to make sure that directory is has
read access for the server to be able to read it and its content. try to add
world read access to it if it does not allready has it.

Nasser

Netscape Enterprise Server -virtual software servers

Post by Desmo9 » Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:00:00

        Do you know if there is a way to set up virtual server-specific Error files ?

Thanks

Netscape Enterprise Server -virtual software servers

Post by Alan J. Flavel » Mon, 28 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> >       Do you know if there is a way to set up virtual server-specific Error files ?

> this is not possible. V.Servers map one IP address to multiple server names,
> but they all must have the same configuration. hence the same error and
> access file.

Sounds like a good reason to upgrade to Apache.

Quote:> (V.sevrers are meant to allow hosting multiple web sites on one
> computer that has only one IP address).

Yes, that's "name-based" virtual servers.  Apache would also support the
older, IP-based, virtual server model, for those who want to use it.
Or indeed a mixture (caveat - haven't tried that in practice myself).

Netscape Enterprise Server -virtual software servers

Post by nabb.. » Tue, 29 Sep 1998 04:00:00

says...

>> (V.sevrers are meant to allow hosting multiple web sites on one
>> computer that has only one IP address).

>Yes, that's "name-based" virtual servers.  Apache would also support the
>older, IP-based, virtual server model, for those who want to use it.
>Or indeed a mixture (caveat - haven't tried that in practice myself).

Netscape servers also support the IP virtual servers, they are called
"hardware virtual servers". for computers with more than one IP, one can
map one IP address to a different document root from the other IP address.
so each IP has its own document root. all hardware virtual servers also
must use the same configuration file (of the real non-virtual server ;)

Nasser

Post by Marc Slemk » Fri, 02 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>Hey, thanks to all who offered a possible solution.
>I did, however, finally find the correct solution to my problem from another
>newsgroup:  netscape.devs-server-technical, and this is what someone
>suggested, which did work.  I put the base href tag (which had the absolute
>path of the homepage)in the index.html file of the software virtual server and
>this took care of my problem.

Note that this is just a workaround for substandard virtual hosting support
in your particular server and/or configuration.