userdir restricted to certain users- want to split one server into 2 seperate servers

userdir restricted to certain users- want to split one server into 2 seperate servers

Post by shin » Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:00:00

hi,

I have the situation in an organisation where one dept has gone
autonomous from the main organisation.

Previously all user home pages lived under www.foo.com/~

Now we need to have a similar setup for the new dept - but to only
serve pages via the userdir method for a set of users. Additionally
the new dept wants a certain group of users to be on a seperate server
from the others - but to retain the use of the userdir method across
both new servers. Again this latter server should only serve the user
pages of a set group of users.

All userdir pages live under a public_html directory - both for the
old main org server and hopefully for the 2 new servers for the new
dept.

ie www.newdept.foo.com/~ <-- restricted to certain users
& special.newdept.foo.com/~ <-- restrcited to a different set of users

so bascially I'm looking for a way to restrcit the use of the userdir
method to certain users only ie we dont want soneone from the other
section to be able to give a special.newdept.foo.net/~ url

all users share the same basic NFS/NIS type stucture in the same NIS
domain.
thx

1. splitting webserv into 2 separate servers ..how to deal with UserDir parameter

Hi all,

I currently have a apache-1.2.4 running under solaris-x86, and as well
as servicing locally held files this services user homepages which are
NFS mounts from user homeareas. ie www.our.domain/~ssd all user
homepages are kept under a users public_html directory.

We are using the directive

UserDir /home/*/public_html

to acheive this.

I Know want to split the servers into 2 so as to maintain a distinct
identity between user homepages and the main external web site by
having 2 servers namely

www.our.domain and homepages.our.domain

I know that I can setup the homepages server with the UserDir
directive as above but how do I setup www.our.domain to automatically
refer to homepages when it gets a referal to www.our.domain/~ssd for
instance, Is there a neat way of doing this without having each users
homepage fixed to include a re-direction to the homepages server.

Thanks for any input.
Apologies for waffling on at lenght

rgds
shin

2. set user-id bit

3. SSH how to restrict remote access to certain domains or certain users ?

4. PCMCIA Question

5. RESTRICTING USERS TO ONE SERVER WITH NIS +

6. FAX Encryption Software

7. is it possible: one website with one URL split between two servers?

8. Problem with fonts...

9. migrate users from one linux server to new linux server

10. Splitting a users mail spool into seperate files

11. Restricting UserDir to one virtual host

12. How do you seperate USER input and Server output?

13. How to share one IP address with two servers (application server and web server)?