Automating Apache startup with a dedicated dialup access line....?

Automating Apache startup with a dedicated dialup access line....?

Post by Peabody the Masterfu » Tue, 11 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I currently run a Linux box that has a dedicated dialup access line
with a static IP that is assigned during the initial connection.

If for any reason the box gets rebooted I don't have Apache automated
to load on reboot.  So that means I get a page and have to telnet into
the box and start it manually.

The problem that I run into is that if I place the startup command for
Apache in the /etc/rc.d/rc.local (Slackware) file to load on bootup it
fails to load because the ppp-on script is still in the process of
connecting and Apache doesn't see the assigned IP address to the PPP0
adapter that isn't registered to the system yet.

My /usr/sbin/ppp-on has a line for local_IP=0.0.0.0 so that the ISP
assigns the IP address even though it is static.

Any suggestions?  I've wondered if there was/is a way to make the PPP0
adapter a static network adapter to the system even when there isn't a
physical dialup connection at any given moment...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I recently put the
users on proxy cache thru Apache versus straight thru the (slow)
dialup; so for any reason the Apache software isn't running the users
act like ducks out the water rather than temporarily setting they're
browsers to non-proxy lookups.

If you make a comment about RTFM, at least tell me what FM to read.

Thanks.  -P

Automating Apache startup with a dedicated dialup access line....?

Post by Nick K » Tue, 11 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I currently run a Linux box that has a dedicated dialup access line
> with a static IP that is assigned during the initial connection.

> The problem that I run into is that if I place the startup command for
> Apache in the /etc/rc.d/rc.local (Slackware) file to load on bootup it
> fails to load because the ppp-on script is still in the process of
> connecting and Apache doesn't see the assigned IP address to the PPP0
> adapter that isn't registered to the system yet.

Um .. is there anything wrong with just using matching IP numbers in
/etc/hosts and httpd.conf?

Works for my laptop, which I can boot up either connected or alone:
I have apache listen (on different virtual hosts) to 127.0.0.1
and to the address of eth0 (before I set it up for Namevirtualhosts
it was on several 127.0.0.* addresses).  If I had a fixed IP address
for ppp, I'd expect to do the same with it.

--
Nick Kew

Automating Apache startup with a dedicated dialup access line....?

Post by Miguel Cr » Wed, 12 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> The problem that I run into is that if I place the startup command for
> Apache in the /etc/rc.d/rc.local (Slackware) file to load on bootup it
> fails to load because the ppp-on script is still in the process of
> connecting and Apache doesn't see the assigned IP address to the PPP0
> adapter that isn't registered to the system yet.

Why not just make ppp-on run first, and put a sleep 60 before Apache starts
up?

miguel

Automating Apache startup with a dedicated dialup access line....?

Post by Peabody the Masterfu » Fri, 14 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I use pppupd to keep the dialup connection linked at all times if
there is any reason it gets disconnected.  So in a bad day I might get
connected two or three times and system tries to load another instance
of the Apache, which there's got to be a better way to load it.

>PtM> The problem that I run into is that if I place the startup
>PtM> command for Apache in the /etc/rc.d/rc.local (Slackware) file to
>PtM> load on bootup it fails to load because the ppp-on script is
>PtM> still in the process of connecting and Apache doesn't see the
>PtM> assigned IP address to the PPP0 adapter that isn't registered to
>PtM> the system yet.

>Well, you should make sure, that apache gets started _after_ the ppp
>connection is established.
>From the top of my head: what about using the ip-up script?

>Robinton

>--?
>Origin: Mein Gott ! Es ist voller Sterne !

1. how to automate apache startup?

When our apache server starts up, it asks for  PEM password. Is there
any way of either disabling this, or perhaps reading it from a file
somewhere? I hope I don't have to write some kind of C progam with
ptys ...

Any ideas much appreciated, email if possible. Thanks very much for
your time.

        Ed

2. Token Ring capability

3. SLIP vs PPP for a dedicated dialup connection?

4. understanding pstack output

5. FS: Dedicated dialup Internet connection

6. problems linking _floor, etc.

7. PPP connection via mac or win modem dialup to dedicated Linux ppp server

8. binary operator expected ??

9. Routing dialup dedicated Internet Lan connection with Linux/NT?

10. Serial line vs. dialup line

11. automate file access on server using SSH and passwordless access

12. Dialup access to Netware through OpenLinux remote access server

13. Dedicated Unix dedicated Server