installing apache on Red Hat Linux 7.1

Post by Michael Fothergil » Mon, 08 Oct 2001 16:27:42

Dear apache gurus,

I just installed apache on Red Hat 7.1 on an x86 machine....
I think the installation worked OK, but I then got an error message when I
tried to fire it up the first time.....

It was:  [alert] httpd: Could not determine the server's fully qualified
domain name using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName.

The machine is not connected to the internet on the Linux partition. I want
to develop a website that will use DBI and MySQL on the Linux machine that I
will ultimately port to a Vax machine that has a server that is connected to
the internet and use the DBI developed with MySQL on the Linux machine to
drive Oracle on the vax.......

I need apache to serve the website to my browser on the Linux machine and
bench test and help me develop the DBI instructions and some CGI scripts....

What caused the server name problem?????

All the best

Michael Fothergill

installing apache on Red Hat Linux 7.1

Post by Herb Stei » Mon, 08 Oct 2001 12:05:25

At least look in the following files:

        /etc/hosts
        /etc/resolv.conf
        /etc/sysconfig/network

If you are hosting virtual sites (probably not), also change:

        /etc/sysconfig/ipaliases

Quote:> Dear apache gurus,

> I just installed apache on Red Hat 7.1 on an x86 machine....
> I think the installation worked OK, but I then got an error message when I
> tried to fire it up the first time.....

> It was:  [alert] httpd: Could not determine the server's fully qualified
> domain name using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName.

> The machine is not connected to the internet on the Linux partition. I
want
> to develop a website that will use DBI and MySQL on the Linux machine that
> will ultimately port to a Vax machine that has a server that is connected
> the internet and use the DBI developed with MySQL on the Linux machine to
> drive Oracle on the vax.......

> I need apache to serve the website to my browser on the Linux machine and
> bench test and help me develop the DBI instructions and some CGI
scripts....

> What caused the server name problem?????

> All the best

> Michael Fothergill

Let me know.
--
Herb Stein
The Herb Stein Group

314 952-4601

7.1 installation?

Here's my problem:

Please help!

2. pop3 as root

3. Can U install Red Hat 6rpm's in Red 7.1 ?

4. Q: Apache method not allowed

5. Help with Red Hat 7.1 Linux and Apache

6. Using NetBSD bootloader to start Linux ?

7. Red Hat Linux 7.1 install error - Can't find root filesystem?

8. Linux RH 6 DHCP server ??

9. Why I cannot install Red Hat Linux 7.1???

10. Problem installing Red Hat Linux 7.1

11. Running SSL 443 on Red Hat 7.1 Apache

12. Help with Linksys and Apache on Red Hat 7.1

13. Red Hat 7.1 Apache using 443 ssl