Apache + System authentication

Post by martin » Sun, 25 May 2003 07:23:50

I'm required to implement such an implementation using apache 1.x.x such
that when the user tries to popup Doc root as in
/usr/local/apache/htdocs and anyything below that he gets an
authentication box asking him to supply login credentials.  Those have
to be identical to the ones he or she would use to say telnet into that
server.  Ultimately I will want to run a CGI script once the credentials
are supplied by the user under the username he or she has supplied.  I'm
not really sure how to go about this so I would really appreciate if
someone pointed me in the right direction on how I could accomplish this.
THank You

Post by 2Host.com - Rober » Sun, 25 May 2003 08:13:14

> I'm required to implement such an implementation using apache 1.x.x such
> that when the user tries to popup Doc root as in
> /usr/local/apache/htdocs and anyything below that he gets an
> authentication box asking him to supply login credentials.  Those have
> to be identical to the ones he or she would use to say telnet into that
> server.  Ultimately I will want to run a CGI script once the credentials
> are supplied by the user under the username he or she has supplied.  I'm
> not really sure how to go about this so I would really appreciate if
> someone pointed me in the right direction on how I could accomplish this.
> THank You

You can use some tools to read the passwd and/or shadow file (or
master.passwd, or...) and authenticate against that (Which are
available, but I believe even the web sites don't recommend you use it),
or create a means to do that yourself. Personally, I don't suggest ever
having a web interface use the same login information used for shell
access.
--
Regards,

Server admin, support, programming for shared & dedicated web servers
Secure, reliable hosting you expect and deserve! http://www.2host.com