I need a list of switches to Configure 1.3.3 for compile, please help!

I need a list of switches to Configure 1.3.3 for compile, please help!

Post by Pancho Co » Thu, 18 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I dont want to use the APACI as we have a server running, and I want
to test it first. I am not reinstalling in the default directories,
and I am trying to set up to compile in FrontPage as well. I figured
out how to get FrontPage by running httpd -l but I need to specify a
lot of paths.
I am very very new to this......and would appreciate the help.
--

(207) 664-3100 ICQ 16698531

Post by Joshua Sliv » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> I dont want to use the APACI as we have a server running, and I want
> to test it first. I am not reinstalling in the default directories,
> and I am trying to set up to compile in FrontPage as well. I figured
> out how to get FrontPage by running httpd -l but I need to specify a
> lot of paths.
> I am very very new to this......and would appreciate the help.

Ummm, sorry, but what exactly is the question?  What do you want help with?

src/Configure has no switches.  You need to edit src/Configuration.
configuration has many switches listed in README.configure.

--
Joshua Slive

http://finance.commerce.ubc.ca/~slive/

I need a list of switches to Configure 1.3.3 for compile, please help!

Post by Pancho Co » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00

On 18 Feb 1999 02:13:32 GMT, "Joshua Slive"

>> I dont want to use the APACI as we have a server running, and I want
>> to test it first. I am not reinstalling in the default directories,
>> and I am trying to set up to compile in FrontPage as well. I figured
>> out how to get FrontPage by running httpd -l but I need to specify a
>> lot of paths.
>> I am very very new to this......and would appreciate the help.

>Ummm, sorry, but what exactly is the question?  What do you want help with?

>src/Configure has no switches.  You need to edit src/Configuration.
>configuration has many switches listed in README.configure.

While I was on vacation a co-worker upgraded apache from 1.2.1 to
1.3.3, on a BSDI 4.0 os. Now the binary is at /usr/contrib/bin,
/etc/rc refers to /usr/contrib/bin/apachectl to start it.
/var/www/conf/httpd.con has all these references to various mods.
I need to load the frontpage mod. So I ran ./Configure after editing
Configuration and downloading the apache frontpage patch,  and then I
did a  ./make and tested the binary: httpd -l
and the frontpage mod was there. So I saved the existing binary,
stopped the server, copied the binary to /etc/contrib/bin and  then
typed "apachectl start" and received the message "could not find
/usr/local/apache/httpd.conf".
BSDI tells me to use the -d and -f switches but I don't see them
anywhere in /etc/rc or /usr/contrib/bin/apachectl.
do I need to run /apache_1.3.3/configure after editing
/apache_1.3.3/src/Configuration ? I read that using "make" after
editing Congifuration was the old fashioned way to build apache, and I
don't want to mess up our server which, aside from FrontPage (ugh) is
working fine.

--

(207) 664-3100 ICQ 16698531

I need a list of switches to Configure 1.3.3 for compile, please help!

Post by Joshua Sliv » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> While I was on vacation a co-worker upgraded apache from 1.2.1 to
> 1.3.3, on a BSDI 4.0 os. Now the binary is at /usr/contrib/bin,
> /etc/rc refers to /usr/contrib/bin/apachectl to start it.
> /var/www/conf/httpd.con has all these references to various mods.
> I need to load the frontpage mod. So I ran ./Configure after editing
> Configuration and downloading the apache frontpage patch,  and then I
> did a  ./make and tested the binary: httpd -l
> and the frontpage mod was there. So I saved the existing binary,
> stopped the server, copied the binary to /etc/contrib/bin and  then
> typed "apachectl start" and received the message "could not find
> /usr/local/apache/httpd.conf".
> BSDI tells me to use the -d and -f switches but I don't see them
> anywhere in /etc/rc or /usr/contrib/bin/apachectl.
> do I need to run /apache_1.3.3/configure after editing
> /apache_1.3.3/src/Configuration ? I read that using "make" after
> editing Congifuration was the old fashioned way to build apache, and I
> don't want to mess up our server which, aside from FrontPage (ugh) is
> working fine.

Okay, that's slightly more clear.  Your problem is that the binary that
you installed has different default paths than the one you were using
before.  There are at least three ways to fix this problem:

1. Edit apachectl to call httpd with the -f switch to specify the location
of httpd.conf.  Then make sure that you properly override all the other
default paths by setting them explicitly in httpd.conf.

2. Edit src/include/httpd.h and related files to set the default paths that
you want and then recompile using src/Configure.

3. Use the switches discussed in INSTALL and README.configure to do all
your pre-compile configuration using configure, then run make and
make install from the root directory of the distribution.  If you do this,
all the changes you made to src/Configuration will be lost, and must
instead be specified on the configure command line.

I would probably go with option 1 at this point, since you already
have the server compiled.