Why can't users run CGI scripts?

Post by Robert F. Cobou » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

Assuming some excepts from config files such as these:
-------------------------
<Directory />
Options FollowSymLinks ExecCGI Indexes Includes
AllowOverride All
</Directory>
<Directory /usr/local/apache/share/htdocs>
Options ExecCGI Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
AllowOverride None
order allow,deny
allow from all
</Directory>
DocumentRoot /usr/local/apache/share/htdocs
UserDir public_html
AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
----------------------
Why can a user in /usr/home/someuser1 run CGI scripts in
/usr/home/someuser1/public_html while a user in /usr2/home/user/someuser2
can't run one in /usr2/home/user/someuser2/public_html ?

Much thanks for you input.

Why can't users run CGI scripts?

Post by Raghura » Sat, 29 May 1999 04:00:00

Hello Robert,

You need to indicate to Apache that there are CGI scripts
in the directories you are referring to.

This is done using "ScriptAlias" directive. "ExecCGI"
gives permission for scripts to be executed.

Hope this helps.
--
Best regards,
Raghuram

Disclaimer: My opinions are my own

> Assuming some excepts from config files such as these:
> -------------------------
> <Directory />
> Options FollowSymLinks ExecCGI Indexes Includes
> AllowOverride All
> </Directory>
> <Directory /usr/local/apache/share/htdocs>
> Options ExecCGI Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
> AllowOverride None
> order allow,deny
> allow from all
> </Directory>
> DocumentRoot /usr/local/apache/share/htdocs
> UserDir public_html
> AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
> ----------------------
> Why can a user in /usr/home/someuser1 run CGI scripts in
> /usr/home/someuser1/public_html while a user in /usr2/home/user/someuser2
> can't run one in /usr2/home/user/someuser2/public_html ?

> Much thanks for you input.

1. can't get cgi scripts to run in user's home directory

I wnat cgi scripts to run from all user's public_html directory

in access.conf I created this directory
# this should allow cgi scripts to be run from a user directory
<DirectoryMatch /home/*/public_html>
AllowOverride None
Options ExecCGI
</DirectoryMatch>

It didn't work, I would get user not allowed.

However if I changed the * to my user name I could get cgi to run from
my public_html directory.
How do I write the regular expression correctly so that all users or
perhaps all users that begin with "cis" can run cgi scripts from their
public_html directory

my access.conf file follows the default one exactly except for the above
lines added to the bottom.

Thanks

2. new kernel booting problem

3. Upgraded to 1.3.6, user cgi scripts won't run

4. HCT program for Linux?

5. How do I enable users to run scripts from ~user/cgi-bin ?

6. quota patch

7. Why won't NCSA run my CGI's?

8. 30000+ Undefined References

9. Apache gets SIGSEGV while running CGI script, why?

10. Why CGI script running on GMT?

11. Why does a Web browser running under Linux show Python CGI scripts as plain text?!

12. 'su --login user -c command' doesn't run loggin scripts

13. Why 'alias' cannot run by shell script?