Anyone porting "Phttpd" to Linux ??

Post by Penny » Mon, 30 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I really need to know if and when a Linux 2.x port will be available -
anyone who is doing this or knows of this: please email the details in
addition to posting. Thanks !!

Penny

Post by Peter Erikss » Wed, 01 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>I really need to know if and when a Linux 2.x port will be available -
>anyone who is doing this or knows of this: please email the details in
>addition to posting. Thanks !!

This requires two things:

        1. A port of Phttpd to use Pthreads instead
           of Solaris/Unixware (UI) threads. I just received such
           a port and will look at integrating that into the main
           Phttpd distribution. It was done on a Silicon Graphics IRIX
           machine though so there will probably be more work needed to
           make it compile and run on Linux (or other Unixes with Pthreads).

        2. A good Pthreads implementation for Linux. Best would be
           a combination of both a kernel-level (like LinuxThreads)
           and a user-level (like Provens's or MIT's pThreads).

Currently most threads implemenation (as far as I know) are still way
behind Suns implementations (both UI and Pthreads). For example with
LinuxThreads all threads will be "heavyweight" (which will cause
problems if one would try to use it for a big servers - one might run
out of processes/threads rather quickly...)

You can FTP the Posix port of Phttpd from:

   ftp://ftp.signum.se/pub/phttpd/alpha/pthreads-phttpd-0.99.73.c.tar.gz

if you are interrested in having a shot at porting it to Linux...
(I will not have time to work on it during the next couple of weeks
since I'll be visiting the Usenix Techical Conference in Anaheim :-)

- Peter

--

WWW: http://www.ifm.liu.se/~peter/               Phone: +46 13 282786
Link?ping University, Department of Physics, S-581 83 Link?ping, Sweden