Apache UserDir/AliasMatch

Post by Gardiner Leveret » Thu, 14 Mar 2002 01:35:20

(I don't think this was posted, so this is a repost! Sorry
if you're seeing this twice!)

I have a question that maybe others could answer:

I'm in the process of changing servers from Netscape
to Apache.  In my Netscape configs, we have home
directories set up with the www.domain.name/~user
to go to the an html directory in the users home
dir.

Here's the problem: in Apache, the home directory
listed in /etc/passwd, but on our Netscape
server, we have a *specfic* file (set up like
/etc/passwd) and it uses the path listed there
and NOT the one in /etc/passwd.   Is there a way
to make Apache read the paths from a different
file?

I looked at the AliasMatch as an option, but
that only works if all of the paths in the file
for the users match.  There are special paths
that would not work (i.e  if we wanted ~stuff
to go to a non-user directory, the AliasMatch
would fail. Yes, we could add an alias, but we have
a TON of these).

Any ideas would be appreciated!

----------

Merit Network, Inc.                     Phone: 734-647-9888
4251 Plymouth Road, Suite 2000          Ann Arbor, MI  48105-2785
                        http://www.merit.edu

Apache UserDir/AliasMatch

Post by Joshua Sliv » Thu, 14 Mar 2002 02:36:19

> Here's the problem: in Apache, the home directory
> listed in /etc/passwd, but on our Netscape
> server, we have a *specfic* file (set up like
> /etc/passwd) and it uses the path listed there
> and NOT the one in /etc/passwd.   Is there a way
> to make Apache read the paths from a different
> file?

Yes, you asked this question on Feb 15, and I answered it on that
date:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&selm=a4jjvb%24qpl%241%40nntp.it...

--
Joshua Slive

1. Apache UserDir/AliasMatch

[...]

2. Downloads gone wild

3. Apache aliasmatch to match user directories

4. Compiling modules-1.2.8

5. AliasMatch is looping apache

6. emacs command line editing in K shell

7. apache AliasMatch question

8. HP LaserJet 1100

9. Q: Apache (1.3.9) + Proxy + AliasMatch

10. 755 userdirs? for ~userdir/public_html?

11. Apache UserDir CGI scripts

12. VirtualHost UserDir in apache 0.8.13?

13. Apache UserDir CGI scripts