Secure Access: CERN vs NCSA

Post by Leslie You » Fri, 21 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I need to set up a secure access server and am not
sure which software offers the finest grain of access
control CERN or NCSA.  From the documentation I've read
it appears that CERN offers better access control.  But,
I have more experience with NCSA (in an access neutral
setting).  I will need to secure access done to the file
level and might even need to secure the access of cgi scripts.

Any feedback would be welcome!!!

Thank you,

-leslie

Secure Access: CERN vs NCSA

Post by Jon Mittelhause » Sat, 22 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>I need to set up a secure access server and am not
>sure which software offers the finest grain of access
>control CERN or NCSA.  From the documentation I've read
>it appears that CERN offers better access control.  But,
>I have more experience with NCSA (in an access neutral
>setting).  I will need to secure access done to the file
>level and might even need to secure the access of cgi scripts.

>Any feedback would be welcome!!!

Again, I am biased but I would claim that the Netscape server will
offer you better control as well as performance and ease of use...

Based on your address, you are educational so it will be _free_ for
you...see http://home.netscape.com...

-Jon

Secure Access: CERN vs NCSA

Post by Alex Ta » Wed, 26 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: >
: >I need to set up a secure access server and am not
: >sure which software offers the finest grain of access
: >control CERN or NCSA.  From the documentation I've read
: >it appears that CERN offers better access control.  But,
: >I have more experience with NCSA (in an access neutral
: >setting).  I will need to secure access done to the file
: >level and might even need to secure the access of cgi scripts.
: >
: >Any feedback would be welcome!!!

: Again, I am biased but I would claim that the Netscape server will
: offer you better control as well as performance and ease of use...

: Based on your address, you are educational so it will be _free_ for
: you...see http://home.netscape.com...

I don't think so.  If you look closely, the free offer is for a Netscape
Communications server (the non secure one).

Check out the page

        http://home.netscape.com/comprod/server_central/edu_drive.html

for info.

...alex...

Secure Access: CERN vs NCSA

Post by Rob McCo » Wed, 26 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: : >
: : >I need to set up a secure access server and am not
: : >sure which software offers the finest grain of access
                                                    ^^^^^^
: : >control CERN or NCSA.  From the documentation I've read
     ^^^^^^^
: : >it appears that CERN offers better access control.  But,
: : >I have more experience with NCSA (in an access neutral
: : >setting).  I will need to secure access done to the file
: : >level and might even need to secure the access of cgi scripts.
: : >
: : >Any feedback would be welcome!!!

: : Again, I am biased but I would claim that the Netscape server will
: : offer you better control as well as performance and ease of use...

: : Based on your address, you are educational so it will be _free_ for
: : you...see http://home.netscape.com...

: I don't think so.  If you look closely, the free offer is for a Netscape
: Communications server (the non secure one).

The original post (included above) was referring to access control type
security, not encryption. In the CERN and NCSA terminology, that means
restricting use by IP address, DNS hostname, or user authentication. Jon's
point was merely that in that respect, the Netscape server offers comparable
features and some might find the Netscape server easier to use.

--

Stunt Programmer, Netscape Communications Corporation
It was working ten minutes ago, I swear...

Secure Access: CERN vs NCSA

Post by Jon Mittelhause » Wed, 26 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>: >
>: >I need to set up a secure access server and am not
>: >sure which software offers the finest grain of access
>: >control CERN or NCSA.  From the documentation I've read
>: >it appears that CERN offers better access control.  But,
>: >I have more experience with NCSA (in an access neutral
>: >setting).  I will need to secure access done to the file
>: >level and might even need to secure the access of cgi scripts.
>: >
>: >Any feedback would be welcome!!!

>: Again, I am biased but I would claim that the Netscape server will
>: offer you better control as well as performance and ease of use...

>: Based on your address, you are educational so it will be _free_ for
>: you...see http://home.netscape.com...

>I don't think so.  If you look closely, the free offer is for a Netscape
>Communications server (the non secure one).

Read his question carefully.  He uses the word secure but isn't reffering
to encryption.  He is asking about HTTP-level access control.  Neither
NCSA or CERN offer real security.  All three servers offer basic access
control.  The Communications Server which is free for educational use is
more than adequate for what he describes as his needs...

-Jon

Quote:

>Check out the page

>    http://home.netscape.com/comprod/server_central/edu_drive.html

>for info.

>...alex...

1. CERN vs NCSA - Which is best?

        NCSA has a server comparrison report. I can't remember the
        URL right now, but it's not too deep in their documents.

        details.

Andrew Mueller                                    MultiMedia Madness Consulting
HyperMedia Programmer                                   Specializing in CGI and
Nationwide Life Insurance Co.                             Web Site development

http://www.nationwide.com/              http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~amueller

2. Strange errors in /var/log/messages

3. INFO NEEDED: NCSA vs CERN

4. Cron problems