apache-1.3.6 vhosting with firewall

Post by aalex.. » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00

i had an older version of apache running perfectly behind a firewall doing vir
tual hosting (network address translation was being used, from a live ip to a
10.x.x.x ip).  I was and am using name virtual hosting.  when i up graded to 1
.3.6, my web pages would not pop up, only the defaul page.  I tried playin wit
h UseCanonicalName, no change, i also was playing with NameVirtualHost, and us
ing the 10.x.x.x ip and also the live ip.  I have installed apache 1.3.6 on ao
nther server not behind a firewall, and it works great, so i am pretty sure it
 has to do with the network address translation.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

adrien

apache-1.3.6 vhosting with firewall

Post by aalex.. » Sat, 07 Aug 1999 04:00:00

i had an older version of apache running perfectly
behind a firewall doing vir
tual hosting (network address translation was
being used, from a live ip to a
10.x.x.x ip).  I was and am using name virtual
hosting.  when i up graded to 1
.3.6, my web pages would not pop up, only the
defaul page.  I tried playin wit
h UseCanonicalName, no change, i also was playing
with NameVirtualHost, and us
ing the 10.x.x.x ip and also the live ip.  I have
installed apache 1.3.6 on ao
nther server not behind a firewall, and it works
great, so i am pretty sure it
 has to do with the network address translation.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

adrien

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. funky vhost with apache1.3.6 question

I have a customer who would basically be "part" of my web site, yet they'd
like to access their portion using their own domain name.

I understand the regular virtual host configuration, but this is a bit odd.
These two "web sites"  need to share a huge amount of web pages, and cloning
it seems like an awful mess to me.  But, the two web sites, each with
distinct URLs, need to have the same document root so that path names are
the same, yet they each must start with a differet HTML file.

For example, this is what I have so far (not working!):

Currently, the document root is set to /usr/local/apache/KWhtdocs for site
#1, and /usr/local/apache/MEShtdocs for site #2.  The virtual host stuff is
working just fine for me.

But, I'd like to have my configuration setup like this, since they really
need to share the same document root.

Files all stored in /usr/local/apache/KWhtdocs.  For site #1, when someone
types in the URL http://www.site1.com, I'd like it to serve back
/usr/local/apache/KWhtdocs/index.html.  For site #2, when someone types in
the URL http://www.site2.com, I'd like to serve back
/usr/local/apache/KWhtdocs/site2/index.html.

So, I'd like to have site2's information stored in a subdirectory of the
main server's documents, yet have the same root so that they can actually
share HTML files that they need to share.  I really only need to have two
different starting documents for the two domain names.  I cannot just use
HREFs to link between the two sites because I need to share cookie/state
information between the two "sites."  Basically, when the person is in
"site2," site1's HTML will have the look and of site2 rather than its
default site1 look (mostly to do with logos at the top).

I can make the sites work fine when someone enters a URL like
http://www.site1.html/site2/.  The entire site works like a charm, with the
full look of site2.  But, I cannot make it work (yet!) using a URL like
http://www.site2.html to do the same thing.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
David

2. Linux 1.2.2 serial set-up problem

3. Apache-1.3.6 & WebWasher & approx. 50 virtHosts

4. Redhat ftp installation problem

5. apache-1.3.6 netscape .htm files

6. Need help with lockups on tyan s2460 motherboard in SMP mode

7. Apache-1.3.6: Action, Location, and SetHandler interaction

8. Netsite & Solaris 2.4 Problems

9. Multiple user/password requests? apache-1.3.6-7

10. ScriptAlias for VirtualHost on Apache-1.3.6+

11. Apache-1.3.6 slow down network

12. An old Apache bug in Apache1.3.6?

13. Using Apache 1.3.4 on Slackware 3.6