Netscape won't start media player

Post by Harold Donaldso » Mon, 17 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I have a streaming video file(.asf) located on my Apache server.
When I use IE 5.0 to access the file it automatically starts the MS
Media Player and I can see the video clip.  When I try to use Netscape
4.X to access the file all I get is a bunch of code scrolling by.  I have
this
same file on xoom.com and it works with both IE and Netscape so I'm
pretty sure the problem is with the Apache configuration.
I have also accessed this file from several PC's running Netscape and get
the
same result. So I know it's not a particular browser config problem.
 I'm running Apache 1.3.12 on a Linux 6.2 platform.  Can anyone
tell me how to fix this??????  Thanks in advance!!!!!

Post by Joshua Sliv » Mon, 17 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> I have a streaming video file(.asf) located on my Apache server.
> When I use IE 5.0 to access the file it automatically starts the MS
> Media Player and I can see the video clip.  When I try to use Netscape
> 4.X to access the file all I get is a bunch of code scrolling by.  I have
> this
> same file on xoom.com and it works with both IE and Netscape so I'm
> pretty sure the problem is with the Apache configuration.
> I have also accessed this file from several PC's running Netscape and get
> the
> same result. So I know it's not a particular browser config problem.
>  I'm running Apache 1.3.12 on a Linux 6.2 platform.  Can anyone
> tell me how to fix this??????  Thanks in advance!!!!!

Most likely, you have not set the correct mime type for the file.  IE
tends to ignore the mime type and choose one based on the extension,
while Netscape properly respects the mime type.  You can look in your
netscape configuration to see what mime type is expected for this
file, and then use either the mime.types file or the AddType directive
to get apache to set the mime type correctly.

--
Joshua Slive

http://finance.commerce.ubc.ca/~slive/

1. Popping sound when XMMS or KDE Media Player starts

Hi All,

I hope this is a minor problem.

When I start listening to an MP3 with XMMS or KDE Media Player, there is a
pop sound immediatly before the music starts to play.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a simple fix?

The system:
RedHat 7.2
KDE 2.2.2-2
Soundblaster Live with Cambrdge Soundworks 5.1 Theater system.

Let me know if there is information that I have omitted.

Thanks!

Tim

2. SLS 1.02: does 'mount' now default to 'xiafs'?

3. Java Media Player as Default in Netscape

4. hayes Accura 56K fax modem 5675US

5. Bad magic number with Netscape: won't start

6. FTP _SERVER_ software for a Mac LCII on an ethernet

7. netscape won't start from Xwindow or command prompt

8. kernal config file

9. Help: Netscape 6 won't start

10. Netscape Enterprise won't start

11. Win Media Player (or similar) for Solaris

12. Netscape won't start (sometimes!)

13. Netscape Media Player & Linux