Questions on Linux and Apache

Post by Travis Clouett » Wed, 18 Jul 2001 06:12:01

I am new to the Linux environment and have been trying to setup an
Apache Web server on a Linux machine.  I have just a couple of questions
that I am unclear on, and hoped that maybe someone could help me out.
First, I have installed Apache 1.3.20 using the following commands:
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache --enable-module=all
--enable-shared=max
make
make install
/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start

Everything seems to install okay, however, I was under the impression
that the --enable-module=all would actually load all available modules.
This apparently is not the case though because when I run
/usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -l it tells me that all I have running is
http_core.c and mod_so.c.  Am I missing something here?  Also, I go into
my httpd.conf file and none of my AddModule entries are remarked out (ie
#).
I am sure there is something real simple that I am missing, but could
you please help me shed some light on the situation because right now
I am confused?

What I am really trying to do is just add some SSI and CGI capabilities,
but I really have not grasped the concept of adding and removing
modules, and how you keep track of what is already loaded yet.  Any
input would be greatly appreciated, and I have really appreciated your
help in the past.

Thanks in advance,
Travis Clouette

Post by Brian E. Lavend » Thu, 19 Jul 2001 08:04:06

>>I am new to the Linux environment and have been trying to setup an
>>Apache Web server on a Linux machine.  I have just a couple of questions
>>that I am unclear on, and hoped that maybe someone could help me out.
>>First, I have installed Apache 1.3.20 using the following commands:
>>./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache --enable-module=all
>>--enable-shared=max
>>Everything seems to install okay, however, I was under the impression
>>that the --enable-module=all would actually load all available modules.
>>This apparently is not the case though because when I run
>>/usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -l it tells me that all I have running is
>>http_core.c and mod_so.c.  Am I missing something here?  Also, I go into
>>my httpd.conf file and none of my AddModule entries are remarked out (ie
>>#).

>httpd -l shows you a list of modules which are compiled into the server.
>You've built Apache to make most modules dynamically loadable, not compiled
>in, so they won't show up in httpd -l output. What actually gets loaded
>dynamically depends on the configuration file httpd.conf. Look for the
>LoadModule lines.

And with those options, all the default modules should be loaded.
I don't know of a command that will show them loaded, except for
php, mod_perl, php. The way you can see those is by doing

$ telnet localhost 80
HEAD / HTTP/1.0
<return>
<return>