Help: What is best NOS/platform for Oracle?

Help: What is best NOS/platform for Oracle?

Post by webra » Wed, 22 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I am in the process of replacing our company's accounting, manufacturing,
and distribution software with an Oracle7 based package that is written
entirely in Developer/Designer 2000.  I am trying to determine which network
operating system and hardware platform we should run on.  We currently have
about 100 users on a Novell 3.12 running on a Compaq Proliant 1500 server.

We know we must buy an additional server but don't have experience with
anything but Compaq.  As for NOS, I've heard NT is slow but easy to
configure and manage.  I've heard UNIX is fast but cumbersome to manage.
Novell may get eaten by Microsoft.  I would like to hear other's opinions
who have used Oracle on various platforms and NOS.

We are growing very rapidly.  I may have 200 users in a year or two.  May
also need to link to another warehouse/office location soon.  I don't want
upgradeability.

Any advice/opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Kevin Arnold
Director of Operations
Colorbok Paper Products, Inc.

Post by Frederic LACHASS » Wed, 22 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> I am in the process of replacing our company's accounting, manufacturing,
> and distribution software with an Oracle7 based package that is written
> entirely in Developer/Designer 2000.  I am trying to determine which network
> operating system and hardware platform we should run on.  We currently have
> about 100 users on a Novell 3.12 running on a Compaq Proliant 1500 server.

> We know we must buy an additional server but don't have experience with
> anything but Compaq.  As for NOS, I've heard NT is slow but easy to
> configure and manage.  I've heard UNIX is fast but cumbersome to manage.
> Novell may get eaten by Microsoft.  I would like to hear other's opinions
> who have used Oracle on various platforms and NOS.

> We are growing very rapidly.  I may have 200 users in a year or two.  May
> also need to link to another warehouse/office location soon.  I don't want
> upgradeability.

Well, just some (personal) opinions:

 1) Netware is the best for file/print sharing. Not so good as an application
server like running a DBMS server.
 2) UNIX is the best as application server. Not good for file/print sharing.
It is also the worst system to administer (IMO, don't flame!)
 3) NT compete with Netware as file/print server and UNIX as application
server. It's not the best, but is very good for both.
 4) The best client OS is NT workstation. Using the same OS for the clients
and the servers has some advantadges.

So, here are some possible scenarii:

 - Drop the Netware 3.12 box (or let it fade) and go for a full NT solution.
NT is getting more and more powerful, and it looks like it is or will be
powerful enough for you. The good point: only one OS.

 - Use the best of two worlds: upgrade the Netware box to IntraNetware 4.11
for best file/print services, integrate NT servers with NDS. It's a little
more ambitious and complex, but will give more powerful administrator tools
and a smoother migration.

 - keep the Netware box and use UNIX. That will give you the most power for
the Oracle server. However, you'll have to handle the UNIX box.

All that are my own opinion. That may not apply to you...

 Frederic LACHASSE (ECP 86)

 CompuServe: 100530,2005