redirecting error messages restrict altavista ?

redirecting error messages restrict altavista ?

Post by Gerardo Blanc » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Some search engines like www.altavista.com expect the error
404 Not found to delete the link from their server.
If I redirect 404 error messages to a page in my server, altavista.com
doesn't not receive the 404 error message ?

Thanks

--

Gerardo Blanco

Post by Joshua Sliv » Sat, 20 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Some search engines like www.altavista.com expect the error
> 404 Not found to delete the link from their server.
> If I redirect 404 error messages to a page in my server, altavista.com
> doesn't not receive the 404 error message ?

I don't know specifically about how altavista handles this, but if you
are using the apache errordocument directive to "redirect 404 error
messages", then the client will still get the 404 status code
and will still know that the page was not found.

--
Joshua Slive

http://finance.commerce.ubc.ca/~slive/

Post by Marc Slemk » Sun, 21 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>> Some search engines like www.altavista.com expect the error
>> 404 Not found to delete the link from their server.
>> If I redirect 404 error messages to a page in my server, altavista.com
>> doesn't not receive the 404 error message ?
>I don't know specifically about how altavista handles this, but if you
>are using the apache errordocument directive to "redirect 404 error
>messages", then the client will still get the 404 status code
>and will still know that the page was not found.

Only if you use a "ErrorDocument 404 /path/to/file.html" form.
If you use the "ErrorDocument 404 http://server/path/to/file.html" form
then it will get a redirect followed by a 200.

You should use the first form whenever possible.

Post by Peter » Sun, 21 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Some search engines like www.altavista.com expect the error
> 404 Not found to delete the link from their server.
> If I redirect 404 error messages to a page in my server, altavista.com
> doesn't not receive the 404 error message ?

So deliver whatever content you want but be sure your server is sending a 404
header. Most (but not all, I'll grant you) clients are nice enough to display
4?? and 5?? content as if it were an actual pages. It sounds to me like the
search engine behavior is entirely correct. (Unless of course you're saying that
the engines keep links that generate 302 redrects; that would be goofy!)

-Peter

--
The Intel Pentium III chip: it's like a surveillance camera in
your computer screen. Watching you. All the time. Every day.

1. Redirecting error messages

maybe someone will be kind enough to help me out on what should be a simple
question (i hope)

i have an alias "clean":

alias   clean   'rm .*~'

what i would like to do is redirect the "No match" that 'rm' returns.
basically redirect it to null or whatever. any ideas?

thanks.
subhro

2. iptables and multicast

3. how to redirect error messages to a particular window

4. Where can I get INN from

5. How do I run a program in the background and redirect the error messages?

6. Linux + ISDN in the UK

7. redirecting cronjob errors messages

8. egcc build on 2.6 (x86)

9. Redirecting XIO error messages?

10. How do I run a program in the background and redirect the error messages?

11. redirect error messages from console?

12. C Shell can not just redirect error messages ?

13. Redirect error messages