'kill -HUP pid' doesn't work for restart!

'kill -HUP pid' doesn't work for restart!

Post by Todd A. Fiedle » Sat, 01 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Question,

Apache doesn't seem to allow me to do a kill -HUP pid on it to force a
reread of its configuration files like NCSA did. Is there another way
to force a reread besides killing the process?

Answer greatly appreciated! Please Cc to my email also. Thank you.

Todd Fiedler

'kill -HUP pid' doesn't work for restart!

Post by Marc Slemk » Sat, 01 Mar 1997 04:00:00

[mailed and posted]

Sure it does.  What version are you using?  What OS?  You are sending
it to the parent (listed in httpd.pid), right?  What happens when you
do it?  Anything in the error_log?

Quote:>Question,
>Apache doesn't seem to allow me to do a kill -HUP pid on it to force a
>reread of its configuration files like NCSA did. Is there another way
>to force a reread besides killing the process?
>Answer greatly appreciated! Please Cc to my email also. Thank you.
>Todd Fiedler

'kill -HUP pid' doesn't work for restart!

Post by Al Gurs » Sat, 01 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Apache doesn't seem to allow me to do a kill -HUP pid on it to force a
> reread of its configuration files like NCSA did. Is there another way
> to force a reread besides killing the process?

Since I don't know which flavour of unix you're using, I'll take a
guess:  The kill command is an easy thing to confuse, since several
shells have it built in, and the syntax (especially) and behaviour
(sometimes) are not entirely identical to the kill *program*.

Try something like this to be sure what you're getting:

  /bin/kill -s HUP pid
                 I don't suffer from insanity...
                  ...I enjoy every minute of it