Can't spawn child process

Post by Thomas Edward » Tue, 21 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I keep getting "reason: couldn't spawn child process" in my error_log.
It only happens during periods of high use, and effects all of my Perl
CGIs equally.  Is this related to the Max/MinServers ?

-Thomas

Can't spawn child process

Post by Ron Klatchk » Tue, 21 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> I keep getting "reason: couldn't spawn child process" in my error_log.
> It only happens during periods of high use, and effects all of my Perl
> CGIs equally.  Is this related to the Max/MinServers ?

Most likely this is caused by your OS failing to create new process.
Depending on your OS and its configuration, you might be running in
resource configuration limit or possibly a system limit.

moo
              Ron Klatchko - Senior Software Engineer

Can't spawn child process

Post by Marc Slemk » Wed, 22 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>> I keep getting "reason: couldn't spawn child process" in my error_log.
>> It only happens during periods of high use, and effects all of my Perl
>> CGIs equally.  Is this related to the Max/MinServers ?
>No, you are probably hitting the FD limit of your machine.
>See http://docs.apache.org/misc/descriptors.html

No, you are probably running into process limits.

There isn't normally an overly low limit on total descriptors,
and there is no more descriptor use per process during high
load times than during low load times.

1. Apache and 'couldn't spawn child process'

I'm running Apache 1.3.3 under Linux 2.0.35, and everything is working fine,
except every one in a while I get in my log file:

[Fri Feb 26 16:40:31 1999] [error] [client 24.226.98.184] (11)Try again:
couldn't spawn child process: /script.cgi.

If I go back and do the exact same thing, it works.  Happens about 20% of the
time.  I obviously maxed my number of processes because I have a really busy
site with alot of CGI, but I need to know what to change to fix this.

Anyone?

2. ConfigXF86 2.1 broken ?

3. Problems with X and my mouse; i386 1.3 NetBSD

4. Why Apache says 'reason: couldn't spawn child process'?

5. Is it possible?

6. 'Could not spawn child process' problem with Apache 1.26

7. Red Hat 5.1 install and aha1520 not found

8. Apache can't spawn child process

9. No such file or directory: couldn't spawn child process: e:/apache/htdocs/test.pl

10. Can't Spawn Child Process

11. Apache 1.3.3 - "Resource temporarily unavailable: couldn't spawn child process"

12. "couldn't spawn child process"