Web based apache setup

Post by Jim Chiva » Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Greetings:

Does the Apache server have a web based admin tool to setup and change the
server settings or do I have to edit the configuration files.

I know the NEtscape server has one and it seems to be very useful.

Thanks

Jim

--

Web based apache setup

Post by Andre » Sat, 05 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Greetings:

> Does the Apache server have a web based admin tool to setup and change the
> server settings or do I have to edit the configuration files.

> I know the NEtscape server has one and it seems to be very useful.

> Thanks

> Jim

there are some around.

a very comprehensive tool for the complete system is webmin (http://www.webmin.com)
another one would be comanche (http://www.apache.org)

i think i have seen another one at http://www.cgi-resources.com, don't recall the name right now.

andreas

---
http://www.kiwi.nu
http://www.globetrotter.nu

Web based apache setup

Post by Colloquium Internet Senior Web Designe » Sat, 05 Feb 2000 04:00:00

http://www.webmin.com/webmin/

this is not too bad and can be restricted to ONLY apache

Quote:> Greetings:

> Does the Apache server have a web based admin tool to setup and change the
> server settings or do I have to edit the configuration files.

> I know the NEtscape server has one and it seems to be very useful.

> Thanks

> Jim

> --

1. Help: setup name-based or port-based virtual web host.

I hope I post the question at correct place. If not, please forgive me.

I am running Slackware linux 4.0 with Apache 1.3.6, and would like to setup
virtual hosts.

Following the documentation coming with apache, first I tried name-based.
At the end of httpd.conf, added the following lines:
(I only tested it with loopback address)

NameVirtualHost 127.0.0.1

<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>

        ServerName www.test.com
        DocumentRoot /home/myaccount/public_html
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>

        ServerName www.another.com
        DocumentRoot /home/another/public_html
</VirtualHost>

Then I fired up apache server, run netscape, open http://www.test.com.
The browser complained that it cannot resolve name www.test.com. So I added
above two name in /etc/hosts, both point to 127.0.0.1. Restart apache server
and browser. Now both virtual hosts points to main_server's root (say,
/usr/local/apache/htdocs), not the location specified in VirtualHost section.
Aparantly, DocumentRoot in VirtualHost section did not take effect. And
apache documentation didn't say that those names should appear in /etc/hosts
file.

Next, I tried port-based virtual hosts. Added Listen directives in main part
and put respective port number for each virtual host as:
<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1:port#>, kept others the same. After fired up server and
browser, I can only open the location as specified 127.0.0.1:port#, but not
the name as www.test.com (without putting them in /etc/hosts file), although
this time, they pointed to correct locations specified by DocumentRoot.

Could someone point out what I did wrong? Your time and suggestions are highly
appreciated.

juping

2. Where is libc > 5.2.x?

3. FreEasy: Web based FreeBSD setup/administration tool

4. Anyone using the FlashPoint BT 958 SCSI card?

5. 3com AP2000 (3CRWE20096A) web-based setup

6. Win95 on SCO DOS partition

7. Web Based Control Panel for Apache

8. IPMasq & DHCP

9. MatriceW3System (Apache-based, mySQL backed web solution)

10. Apache based web interface for mail

11. MatriceW3System (Apache-based, mySQL backed web solution)

12. IPCHAINS REDIRECT with Apache Port-based Virtual Web Servers?