Apache proxy Prequisites

Post by Nigel Longmir » Fri, 08 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Firstly, we've already got a Netscape Proxy Server running on 1080 and
a Netscape Comm server running on pt 80.  We're not really thrilled
with the Netscap stuff so we grabbed a copy of Apache 1.1.1 to use as a
caching proxy server.  Everything compiled OK (yep we did select
mod_proxy) and we've got it running on pt 60 during the testing phase.

It serves pages like a champ but we can't seem to get the proxy part of
it working eg no pages cached.  If we set Navigators proxy settings to
pt 60 it just gives a no response message (normally their set to 1080
for socks)

I'm obviously missing something but can't work out what.
Any suggestions ?
BTW server is AIX 4.1

Thanks

--------------
Nigel Longmire

Apache proxy Prequisites

Post by Jeremy Laidma » Thu, 14 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> It serves pages like a champ but we can't seem to get the proxy part of
> it working eg no pages cached.  If we set Navigators proxy settings to
> pt 60 it just gives a no response message (normally their set to 1080
> for socks)

When you say "no pages cached" I assume you mean "no pages presented".

How did you set the proxy in Netscape?  Did you put the server in the
socks host box or the HTTP proxy box?  It should be the latter.  If it
serves pages OK then the proxy should work too.  Proxying connects on the
same port as normal pages, the only difference is that the request line
has a URL of another server:
  GET http://some.other.host/welcome.html http/1.0
instead of
  GET /welcome.html

So if you can get pages from it on port 60, then it should proxy on the
same port without hassles.

Cheers

Networking Consultant                            +61 0416 290866
Canberra Institute of Technology                  +61 6 207 4272

1. Apache with access control vs proxy (Not apache AS proxy)

Hello,
I have a webserver which should have limited
access from a subnet.
Works fine with an "access from xxx.xxx." directive.
Problem: There are proxies in the subnet.
If someone outside uses a proxy in authorized subnet,
he can access the webserver.

How can I avoid this "feature" if I haven't access
to the setup of the proxy-Server.

Thanks a lot
Stefan

Stefan Huelbrock
Voice (+49/0)7071-2977176, Fax (+49/0)7071-922983
University of Tuebingen, WSI, Computer Architecture
Koestlinstr. 6, D-72074 Tuebingen, Germany

2. Netscape 4.51 and plug-ins problem

3. Apache 1.3b6 Proxy: Remote Proxy Authorization

4. hosts allow and deny

5. Apache proxy to Netscape proxy

6. pccom: error in region allocation

7. Apache proxy to another proxy?

8. GCT (Coverage Tool) for Linux?

9. Apache Proxy: Virtual Proxy Server (??)

10. WWW and PROXY auth when using Apache as authetifying reverse-proxy

11. Apache proxy server: how can administrator set all browsers to default to proxy?

12. Apache proxy log, how to split to cache & proxy?

13. Apache server behind Apache proxy / CGI environment question