Maxclients 512 doesn't work (Apache/Solaris 2.6)

Maxclients 512 doesn't work (Apache/Solaris 2.6)

Post by System Administrato » Fri, 18 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Our webserver is hitting 256 connections and then things start
clogging up. I tried setting the 'MaxClients' in the httpd.conf file to 512
but the connections are still topping out at 256.

I'm wonderring if there is some kind of user limit being reached. I run the
server as username:group web:web

Solaris 2.6. Apache 1.3.3

= K

Post by Joshua Sliv » Fri, 18 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Our webserver is hitting 256 connections and then things start
> clogging up. I tried setting the 'MaxClients' in the httpd.conf file to 512
> but the connections are still topping out at 256.
> I'm wonderring if there is some kind of user limit being reached. I run the
> server as username:group web:web

Looking at http://www.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#maxclients I see
the statement:

"To configure more than 256 clients, you must edit the
HARD_SERVER_LIMIT entry in httpd.h and recompile."

--
Joshua Slive

http://finance.commerce.ubc.ca/~slive/

Post by Marc Slemk » Fri, 18 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>> Our webserver is hitting 256 connections and then things start
>> clogging up. I tried setting the 'MaxClients' in the httpd.conf file to 512
>> but the connections are still topping out at 256.
>> I'm wonderring if there is some kind of user limit being reached. I run the
>> server as username:group web:web
>Looking at http://www.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#maxclients I see
>the statement:
>"To configure more than 256 clients, you must edit the
>HARD_SERVER_LIMIT entry in httpd.h and recompile."

...and, if you are using a reasonably recent version of Apache, if you
look at your error log you will see a warning if you set MaxClients
higher than the compiled in liimt.

1. apache 1.3 doesn't work on solaris 2.6

I really need help with this one...

I downloaded, built, and installed apache 1.3 without a single problem.
However, I cannot start it successfully. Let me explain: I installed it
on an NIS+ master root server with hostname 'cervin' and domainname
'isotel.com.'. When I invoke the command:

    /usr/local/apache/sbin/httpd -f /usr/local/apache/etc/httpd.conf

I get no response, and my prompt just returns (as it should). Now, when
I check for httpd using

    ps -elf | grep http

I get nothing, and when I try and telnet into either cervin or
cervin.isotel.com (ie: 'telnet cervin 80' or 'telnet cervin.isotel.com
80') I get the following message:

# telnet cervin 80
Trying 192.1.1.99...

Similarly, when I try and telnet into the localhost (ie: 'telnet
localhost 80') I get the following message:

# telnet localhost 80
Trying 127.0.0.1...

How can I fix this? Is there a problem simply because the machine I am
trying to run the web server on is an NIS+ master root server? What
gives?

Any help would be immensely appreciated.
Thank you kindly.

2. RS232 & networking and process logging?

3. Nohup doesn't work as I need with ksh on Solaris 2.6

4. Help- X extensions anyone

5. New install of Solaris 2.6 and ethernet doesn't appear to work

6. Calling C++ methods from a shared library function

7. Dual Boot Solaris 2.6 and Win 95...doesn't seem to work

8. Sound Blaster Live! Value Card Setup

9. Netscape Collabra 3.01 on Solaris 2.6 doesn't work

10. ATI Xpert@play/AGP on x86 Solaris 2.6 doesn't work

11. pldd doesn't always work on Solaris 2.6?

12. IE4 on Solaris 2.6...works/doesn't

13. pthread_create doesn't work on Solaris 2.6