Gopher: To Kill or Not to Kill

Post by WWW server manag » Sat, 30 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Any opinions on keeping a Gopher server alive when most resources are
>available on the Web server?  I wonder how many universities have killed
>their Gopher altogether, or just scaled back services?

We just left a small perl script running from inetd to handle gopher requests,
returning either a two-item menu (link to the UMN gopher, and to a virtual
"this server's closed" document) or the "server closed" document if that was
requested by following the link. Not fancy, and it will return the menu
regardless of request type so it could give odd effects (typically menu data
shown as text document) if anyone used an old bookmark to a non-menu item.

                                John Line
--
University of Cambridge WWW manager account (usually John Line)

Gopher: To Kill or Not to Kill

Post by Michael A. Grad » Wed, 03 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> >Any opinions on keeping a Gopher server alive when most resources are
> >available on the Web server?  I wonder how many universities have killed
> >their Gopher altogether, or just scaled back services?

> We just left a small perl script running from inetd to handle gopher requests,
> returning either a two-item menu (link to the UMN gopher, and to a virtual
> "this server's closed" document) or the "server closed" document if that was
> requested by following the link. Not fancy, and it will return the menu
> regardless of request type so it could give odd effects (typically menu data
> shown as text document) if anyone used an old bookmark to a non-menu item.

>                                 John Line
> --
> University of Cambridge WWW manager account (usually John Line)

We have done a similar thing, just pointing the user to our web
server. The entire Perl program is (run by inetd for port 70):

--------------------------
#!/usr/local/bin/perl
#just send error message and exit
require "ctime.pl";
$date = &ctime(time);
$date =~ s|US/Central ||;
open(LOG, ">>/opt/gopher/log/log");
print LOG $date;
close LOG;

print "0Gopher server is gone, go to http://www.uiuc.edu for UIUC info\t0/byebye
\tgopher.uiuc.edu\t70\r\n.\r\n";
exit;

You could, of course, leave out the log stuff -- I have that there just
to see how many attempted connections are made, and to see the 'decay' in
that number over time.

--

Senior Research Programmer                  http://ljordal.cso.uiuc.edu
University of Illinois                      (217) 244-1253  phone