Apache won't listen to ports other than 80

Apache won't listen to ports other than 80

Post by Nathaniel Star » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 11:15:50

I still a newbie, but I think I have a pretty good handle on this stuff.  I
still may be missing something fundamental and not know it though.  I cannot
get apache 2.0.43 to listen to any port other than 80.  I have pretty much
all the directives set to their default values except for where I added the
line

Listen 81

Every time I try to access the site I get a "The page cannot be displayed"
error.  I have tried it will other ports as well.  I have the port
forwarding set up right with my router.  I am sure ther forwarding works
because I can access my page from the internet.  Can someone help clue me in
on what I am missing.  Thanks for any help

--Nate

Post by Joshua Sli » Sat, 01 Feb 2003 04:47:08

> I still a newbie, but I think I have a pretty good handle on this stuff.  I
> still may be missing something fundamental and not know it though.  I cannot
> get apache 2.0.43 to listen to any port other than 80.  I have pretty much
> all the directives set to their default values except for where I added the
> line

> Listen 81

> Every time I try to access the site I get a "The page cannot be displayed"
> error.  I have tried it will other ports as well.  I have the port
> forwarding set up right with my router.  I am sure ther forwarding works
> because I can access my page from the internet.  Can someone help clue me in
> on what I am missing.  Thanks for any help

Exactly how are you trying to access the site?  You know you need to
specify the port explictly in the URL, as in
http://yoursite.example.com:81/
right?

Post by David Efflan » Sun, 02 Feb 2003 01:50:33

> I still a newbie, but I think I have a pretty good handle on this stuff.  I
> still may be missing something fundamental and not know it though.  I cannot
> get apache 2.0.43 to listen to any port other than 80.  I have pretty much
> all the directives set to their default values except for where I added the
> line

> Listen 81

> Every time I try to access the site I get a "The page cannot be displayed"
> error.  I have tried it will other ports as well.  I have the port
> forwarding set up right with my router.  I am sure ther forwarding works
> because I can access my page from the internet.  Can someone help clue me in
> on what I am missing.  Thanks for any help

Are you attempting to access it via public IP or name from inside the same
LAN (that may not work)?  Do you restart apache after making any changes?
Do you clear your browser cache (it may be grabbing same error from
cache)?  For any port other than 80, do you include it in URL?

What do your access_log and error_log for apache say about it (or
firewall/router log)?

1. apache listen to port 80, another standalone apache+modssl listen port 443, not working..?!

Hi,

I have setup a 'main' apache which listen to port 80.
And setup another copy of apache+modssl listen to port 443, this
apache+modssl failed to start .?!

Error message: "/bin/apachectl start: httpd (pid 76190) already
running"

Error saying that the 'main' apache is running so this apache+modssl
cannot be started..?

Any idea?

Thanks

-qaz

2. RPC anyone?

3. Apache does'n take port 80 as a default port

5. apache 1.3.6: won't listen to port 443

6. Linux MIPS: Anyone using Linux on NetPower FastSeries?

7. Telnet to port 80 won't work

8. Reboot goes into Memory-Test

9. NCSA HTTPD won't bind to port 80.

10. SOCKS proxy listening on Port 80?

11. How to _not_ listen to port 80 on all remaining IPs ?

12. LinkSys Router Listening on Port 80???

13. Apache on both port 80 and port 443: have to manually duplicate all directives?