Newbie Apache Question

Post by DC » Mon, 17 Jan 2000 04:00:00

All right. I finally got Apache 1.3.9 installed and running LOCALLY on my RH
Linux 6.1 machine.  I can connect my
Win98 box by going to 192.168.1.1 in my browser.

I use a dial-up PPP connection to my ISP and DON'T have a Static IP.

When I grab my IP for the session and email it to my friends, they can't
seem to get to my Apache Web Server.
What are the steps for me to allow people from the outside world to connect
to my web server using my DYNAMICALLY assigned IP address?

Thanks!

Dan :)

Newbie Apache Question

Post by David Efflan » Mon, 17 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>All right. I finally got Apache 1.3.9 installed and running LOCALLY on my RH
>Linux 6.1 machine.  I can connect my
>Win98 box by going to 192.168.1.1 in my browser.

>I use a dial-up PPP connection to my ISP and DON'T have a Static IP.

>When I grab my IP for the session and email it to my friends, they can't
>seem to get to my Apache Web Server.
>What are the steps for me to allow people from the outside world to connect
>to my web server using my DYNAMICALLY assigned IP address?

It works for me on RH6.1 without doing anything special.  I do have a
static IP and hostname, but also tried it from freeweb, where all I had
was a dynamic IP with no name, and I was able to access my apache from a
telnet session to my ISP.

So your most likely problems are one or more of:

If your LAN can connect through your box to the internet, your firewall
or masquerading (ipchains) is misconfigured and blocks outside web access.

You changed something in the server conf that you shouldn't have.

Your ISP blocks port 80 so you don't use your connection for a webserver.
This is common with cable modem and maybe home dsl connections.  You can
try to get around that by configuring apache to listen to port 8080 (like
http://x.x.x.x:8080/ where x.x.x.x is your IP).

http://thunder.prohosting.com/~cv-elgin/  http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/

1. newbie apache-question

hi all,
i hope i'm in the right forum for my question - i'm a solaris newbie
(2.6) and i have the following problem: when i install apache 1.3.12
everthing works fine - ./install,make, make install passes without
errors - but when i try to launch 'apachectl start' i get the following
error-message:

so, does anybody know why  ???

thx a lot

sven

2. Mailbox Locking

3. Newbie APACHE question

4. DESPERATE: Have I installed xxgdb properly???

5. Total Newbie Apache Question

6. exceed get disconnected from CDE

7. Newbie Apache question

8. Windows sound system and Compaq

9. Another newbie Apache question

10. Silly Newbie Apache Question

11. newbie Apache question: How do I allow CGI execution in any directory?

12. Newbie Apache question

13. Newbie Apache question: redirect amd 3rd level domains