Server gives error when linking to *.exe

Server gives error when linking to *.exe

Post by Paul Sutto » Mon, 29 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi all. Running Apache 1.2.5 -- I have a .exe file that I would like to
>distribute via a link on a web page. I note other pages simply link to .exe
>files, and the browser initiates a download when you click the link.
However,
>on my server, this doesn't happen. I've tried a variety of permissions but
>always get server errors.

So what are the "server errors" then? Read the error_log.

Incidently, .exe files are not special, they are treated like any other
file extension. That is, the MIME type is assigned from mime.types,
unless overridden by an AddType. Check your mime.types maps exe to
application/octet-stream.

Paul
--
Paul Sutton, C2Net Europe                    http://www.eu.c2.net/~paul/
Editor, Apache Week .. the latest Apache news http://www.apacheweek.com/

Post by Paul Sutto » Fri, 02 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>The error given is a 500. Is there by chance a well stocked "default"

A 500 error will always log something to logs/error_log. Have
a look in there for more details....

Quote:>mime.types file for use with 1.2.5?  Mine looks a little disorganized (many
>entries without listing the extension).

>Keep in mind I've inherited this project, and am trying to come up to speed
>with no support, no coworkers or friends doing something similar, etc.

You can always get the latest mime.types by downloading the
current Apache source distribution and extracting it. The mime.types
is in conf/mime.types-dist (copy to your conf directory, and
rename to mime.types).

Paul

1. Problems with Apache with links on *.exe (downloads)

Hallo.
you since my last hope:-(. I have an a little strange problem here. I
have on a Apache 1.3.9 there runs test wise ones a page on that via left

referred onto a Pm.exe is "<A HREF="./Pm.exe">Test Link</A> ". if I now
accrete on these LINK'S recites Apache the following:

<TITLE>404 need Found</TITLE> </HEAD><BODY> <H1>Not Found</H1> The
requested URL /Pm.exe what network operating terminal found LN this
server.<P

What can be in fact not. The file is there in the path is right. If I
now say store me the link under .... the file becomes stored, funny. Now

may arrive then put I in place of the "Pm.exe" one *.Doc or *.Gif began.

Where has Apache there a closure with that *.exe. Know what one must
make there.

Thanks for every aid:-)))

Greeting

Stefan

2. .hushlogin

3. "wine QuickTimePlayer.exe" gives "Error # -2097" from QuickTime

4. Newbie : 3c59x and RH 3.03 *Nothing* works

5. link errors building profiled Oracle OCI exe on Solaris

6. LyX and keybindings

7. cmd.exe and root.exe in HTTP error files

8. Need to setup tty/pty pairs for other programs

9. DIP gives error:Unknown server error

10. Linked areas for anonymous FTP gives errors

11. loadlin.exe error / kernel error

12. tinyX gives "xinit: Unknown error (errno 0): Client error." error and dies