redirect (via Location: header) on netscape server

redirect (via Location: header) on netscape server

Post by Eli the Bearde » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I've got a site on a server that identifies itself as
'Server: Netscape-Communications/1.1'. I want to do
something like an Apache:

        Redirect 301 /oldsite/ http://newsite/

Ie, have the server return a response with error code
301 and a location of the new file whenever someone
tries to get an old file. How and where would I do this?

Everywhere I try to search for this I get stuff about
javascript or <META HTTP-EQUIV=REFRESH ...> which does
not interest me.

Elijah
------
does not know the admin of the oldsite to ask for help

Post by Peter » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I've got a site on a server that identifies itself as
> 'Server: Netscape-Communications/1.1'. I want to do
> something like an Apache:

>         Redirect 301 /oldsite/ http://newsite/

> Ie, have the server return a response with error code
> 301 and a location of the new file whenever someone
> tries to get an old file. How and where would I do this?

1) search at http://help.netscape.com/
2) upgrade your server; I'd be surprised if 1.1 has even been tested for y2k
compliance

-Peter

redirect (via Location: header) on netscape server

Post by Rainer Scher » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I got a similar problem, when I tried to use
cgi location header on netscape servers for redirection.

It just didn't work correctly... 8-(
I had to solve it with META-Tags an Javascript...

-- Rainer

Post by Eli the Bearde » Tue, 26 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> > I've got a site on a server that identifies itself as
> > 'Server: Netscape-Communications/1.1'.
> > have the server return a response with error code
> > 301 and a location of the new file whenever someone
> > tries to get an old file. How and where would I do this?
> 1) search at http://www.veryComputer.com/

Searching for '301', '302', and 'redirect' all turned up nothing
relevant. Searching for 'location' turned up far too much to
browse.

Quote:> 2) upgrade your server; I'd be surprised if 1.1 has even been tested
> for y2k compliance

It is not my server or else it would be running Apache.

Elijah
------
*y useless netscape thing

1. NETSCAPE server,location header

I posted this on the comp.insosystems.www.cgi
group and got no response. I am hoping for some help here.

I have a script that worked fine under Apache,
and CERN.  It ends by generating a location header
to a generated document.
I was just using the virtual path to the document.
Under the enterprise server - I get both the document, correctly
typed, and at the end of the document an error message from
the server - Error 400  Your browser has sent this server a request
it does not understand.
The errors log file file says:
 handle-request reports:
 method without URI

If I send this location header with a complete url, so that it
makes the round trip to the client, I do not get this error.
What gives?

Thanks.

2. @home firewall

3. HTTPS 'Location' Redirects w/Netscape

4. Quote characters broken in 2.0

5. HELP I need redirect from my NT server to Apache on Linux using HOST HEADER!!???

6. Best Distributions?

7. Netscape Enterprise Server 2.0c - Last-Modified: header

8. Routing question

9. Netscape Enterprise Server 3.5.1 Error: Unable to read the header of the

10. Netscape Commerce Server (Redirecting URLs and URL Aliases)

11. getting Netscape Commerce Server to redirect

12. Redirecting with Netscape server

13. Headers, Headers, whos got the Headers