apache, cookie-log

Post by Mika Perki?m?k » Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

My Apache 1.3.6 on Solaris 7 is behaving strangely with cookie logging.
In configuration I have:

LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\" \
           %{cookie}n" clickstream
CustomLog logs/access clickstream

This adds the cookie to the last field of the log and works well. Except
that it doesn't always log the same cookie value for the same client! For
example a client that I know has been accepting cookies normally, has
retrieved files 76 times. There is one cookie-entry that has 51 hits, and
then there are 25 different ones with 1 hit. Strange, because all these entries
should have the same cookie value.

Any ideas, what could be the reason? There are some sessions that work fine,
but then there are sessions that have different cookie for every hit. But
even though this, it notices the working cookie again in a later session
and begins to use it again!

-- .. -.- .-
Mika Perki?m?ki

apache, cookie-log

Post by Mika Perki?m?k » Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Concerning to my earlier message below...just realized that the problem
most probably is not with apache, but MSIE. Because this example client
(NT 4) works fine with Netscape. But with Internet Explorer 4.01 it sends
different cookie every time.

Security is set to "medium" and another NT 4 & IE 4.01 with the same settings
is working fine - i.e. it sends the same cookie for every page fetched.
Neither client is using a proxy.

Strange, eh?

-- .. -.- .-
Mika Perki?m?ki

> Hello,
> My Apache 1.3.6 on Solaris 7 is behaving strangely with cookie logging.
> In configuration I have:
> LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\" \
>       %{cookie}n" clickstream
> CustomLog logs/access clickstream
> This adds the cookie to the last field of the log and works well. Except
> that it doesn't always log the same cookie value for the same client! For
> example a client that I know has been accepting cookies normally, has
> retrieved files 76 times. There is one cookie-entry that has 51 hits, and
> then there are 25 different ones with 1 hit. Strange, because all these
> entries should have the same cookie value.
> Any ideas, what could be the reason? There are some sessions that work fine,
> but then there are sessions that have different cookie for every hit. But
> even though this, it notices the working cookie again in a later session
> and begins to use it again!
> -- .. -.- .-
> Mika Perki?m?ki

1. Apache cookie logging

I'm using Apache 1.3b3 on NT, with the mod_usertrack module loaded, and
cookie logging enabled.  Everything seems to work fine with browsers
which accept the cookies, ie. the cookie gets logged at the end of each
entry in the log file.  However, when a browser refuses a cookie, the
cookie still gets logged in the same way, and if the browser continues
to refuse successive cookies, these also get logged with successive
distinct values.  The result is that if you are using cookies to keep
track of user sessions, you think you have a lot more sessions (users)
than you really do.  In contrast, the WebTrends cookie plug-in on the
Netscape Enterprise server logs a refused cookie as "-".  Is this a bug
in the NT implementation of mod_usertrack, or is it present on Unix as
well?

--

tinderbox interactive (Pty) Ltd, Cape Town, South Africa
http://www.tinderbox.co.za Tel +27 21 462-5959 Fax +27 21 462-5979

2. IP from hell?

3. apache cookie log tools ?

4. ether_hostton function

5. Can you log specific cookies with Apache %{cookie}i log format?

6. kde3: anti-aliasing checkmark disappears after X restarts

7. My linux+Apache+mod_perl cannot recognize"print "Set-Cookie: cookie-name = Unique; "

8. Mail me your Mach64 XF86Config

9. How 2 log apache cookie 4 webtrends?

10. Cookie logging in Apache

11. apache,cookie and denying access to those whithout the cookie set

12. Cookies in Apache Logs

13. Logging Multiple Cookies in Apache