Newbie Apache question

Post by Ableza Institut » Mon, 05 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Greetings.  I am setting up Apache 1.3.2 under Win NT 4.0.  I'm a brand new
user, so if this question has been asked before, apologies in advance.

I have installed the server on my C: drive, and I want my HTML documents to
reside on my E: drive.  I set the Apache srm.conf file to

DocumentRoot "E:/htdocs"

and the access.conf file to

<DocumentRoot "E:/htdocs">

When I start the Apache service in NT, it starts with no errors.  On the
host machine, entering http://localhost/ shows the index.html file in the
E:/htdocs directory.  However, when I tested the server from another machine
running Netscape Communicator via the internet, I do not see the index.html
file, but rather get an FTP style access to the C: directory.

What have I done wrong and what do I need to change?  Thanks for any
guidance.

Newbie Apache question

Post by Arunas Salkauska » Mon, 05 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Are you really pointing the browser on another machine to http://localhost/
and hoping to get the webpage on your server?!?

localhost usually refers to the machine you're currently using, hence the
'local' part.  Which machine's C: drive do you see?

--
- Arunas Salkauskas
High Point Designs

>Greetings.  I am setting up Apache 1.3.2 under Win NT 4.0.  I'm a brand new
>user, so if this question has been asked before, apologies in advance.

>I have installed the server on my C: drive, and I want my HTML documents to
>reside on my E: drive.  I set the Apache srm.conf file to

>DocumentRoot "E:/htdocs"

>and the access.conf file to

><DocumentRoot "E:/htdocs">

>When I start the Apache service in NT, it starts with no errors.  On the
>host machine, entering http://localhost/ shows the index.html file in the
>E:/htdocs directory.  However, when I tested the server from another
machine
>running Netscape Communicator via the internet, I do not see the index.html
>file, but rather get an FTP style access to the C: directory.

>What have I done wrong and what do I need to change?  Thanks for any
>guidance.

Newbie Apache question

Post by Ableza Institut » Mon, 05 Oct 1998 04:00:00

No, I know that much at least!  I meant to say I type "localhost" on a
browser at the server.  From a second machine with dial up connection, I do
not get to the index.html on the server.  Sorry for the confusion.
David

>Are you really pointing the browser on another machine to http://localhost/
>and hoping to get the webpage on your server?!?

>localhost usually refers to the machine you're currently using, hence the
>'local' part.  Which machine's C: drive do you see?

>--
>- Arunas Salkauskas
>High Point Designs
>www.highpointdesigns.com

1. newbie apache-question

hi all,
i hope i'm in the right forum for my question - i'm a solaris newbie
(2.6) and i have the following problem: when i install apache 1.3.12
everthing works fine - ./install,make, make install passes without
errors - but when i try to launch 'apachectl start' i get the following
error-message:

so, does anybody know why  ???

thx a lot

sven

2. Problems with dump to CD-R

3. Newbie APACHE question

4. task_struct changes?

5. Total Newbie Apache Question

6. Freewwweb Setup - HOW?

7. Another newbie Apache question

8. How to mount iso image file????

9. Silly Newbie Apache Question

10. Newbie Apache Question

11. newbie Apache question: How do I allow CGI execution in any directory?

12. Newbie Apache question

13. Newbie Apache question: redirect amd 3rd level domains