help CERN's server 3.0

Post by The Unkno » Thu, 10 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I have been recently trying to install CERN's httpd server software on my
(very new) linux machine, but the documentation is very very vague.  I don't
think that I have the correct directorys set up.

Can anyone help me out with the actuall instalation process?

I am using httpd 3.0 already compiled to run on linux.
and linux version 1.2.8.

Is there another http server software out there that is more versitle and
easier to install maybe?  Can anyone recomend a particular package for me.
I am a new linux user but learning fast.

thanks in advance
Jon

help CERN's server 3.0

Post by Stef » Tue, 15 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: I have been recently trying to install CERN's httpd server software on my
: (very new) linux machine, but the documentation is very very vague.  I don't
: think that I have the correct directorys set up.
: Can anyone help me out with the actuall instalation process?
: Is there another http server software out there that is more versitle and
: easier to install maybe?  Can anyone recomend a particular package for me.
: I am a new linux user but learning fast.

Hello,

  I run both CERN and NCSA-style servers on my box (linux 1.2.*).

If you're having problems with the CERN server, have a look for a
PRE-compiled CERN server (I believe that src.doc.ic.ac.uk have them).
This makes life a lot easier becos you don't have to make the libraries
AND the server code, you just pull a ready made server.

IMHO (and note that, MY opinion.. no validation behind it.. it's just an
opinion!!!)

  the NCSA-sytle servers are easier to setup and run, and have an
increased functionality.

Yes, I know that a hole was discovered, but that was back at Version 1.3.
Version 1.4.2 has that hole plugged!!! A while back, a user claiming to
be part of the team that wrote the CERN server said that there was NO
conclusive proof that the CERN server was MORE secure than the NCSA server.

Also, I have heard that the CERN team have gone back to smashing atoms on
the Swiss border, and won't be writing another version of the CERN
server. That is now all handled (apparanetly) by INRIA.

Whether that organisation will radically change the layout of the server
or not is up to them, but be aware that if you are using a CERN-style
server, you MAY have to change your operational procedures to run a
new version of what replaces the CERN server.

This may, or may not, be a consideration when you choose a server.

Pangolin

: WebHeads-R-Us URL: http://sw.cse.bris.ac.uk/  <= As mentioned in Wired 1.04
: Making a fire so big that the gods will notice me again!!!

1. CERN ftp server can't open PASV for CERN httpd 3.0

    Hello

    Could you help me ?
  I am running CERN proxy httpd 3.0 libwww 2.17 on IRIX 4.0.5.
  When I attempt to retrive files from cern ftp ftp://ftp.w3.org/pub/src/
  using Mosaic   I get the message "530 Can't open passive connection".
  But from other ftp servers, for example ftp://ftp.telebit.com I don't
  get such a message and everything is OK. May be I have configured my
  httpd.conf not correctly ? Or something else ?

   Regards

|                                                                 |
| St. Petersburg's                   http://www.pnpi.spb.ru/      |
| Nuclear Phisics Institute                                       |
| Russia                                                          |

2. Printing SGI->BSD (Ultrix)

3. HELP: CERN 3.0 Server problems.

4. Want MS Office on Linux? Here is an address

5. The ACL setting of CERN 3.0 Server , help me

6. GNU Linux ?

7. CERN 3.0 'Icons.xbm' babbling bug

8. Which one to try?

9. CERN server (3.0) and REMOTE_USER

10. CERN W3 3.0/21.7 and CGI's

11. CERN 3.0 - auth setup error - can't figure it out!

12. Can't run my CERN 3.0 scripts on APACHE?

13. ? Icons in CERN 3.0 server