searching for indexing/search software

Post by Ralph Dosse » Thu, 28 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Greetings,

I'm looking for indexing/search software to serve a large,
heterogenous site that includes several sets of documents residing on
several different servers. I'm talking tens of thousands of htmls, and
potentially unlimited growth of the document base. Does anyone know
any good information sources for commercial search products?

Thanks

Post by Stephan Green » Fri, 29 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> I'm looking for indexing/search software to serve a large,
> heterogenous site that includes several sets of documents residing on
> several different servers. I'm talking tens of thousands of htmls, and
> potentially unlimited growth of the document base. Does anyone know
> any good information sources for commercial search products?

I don't know if it supports multiple servers (it should!), but e*
( http://www.veryComputer.com/*.com/navigate/home.html ) offers a version of their
search engine for most of the major platforms (and even Linux someday
soon, they claim! joy!).

It might fill the bill.  For the price (free), definitely worth a look.

I think most, if not all the major search systems are or will be selling
their engines for situations like yours.

Steve Greene