Securing web site directories using Apache Server

Securing web site directories using Apache Server

Post by Don » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 05:38:46

Hello,

My web site directory has many sub-directories such as:

images
scripts

I'd like to prevent people from browsing when they type something like:

http:///www.mywebsite.com/scripts

I've tries using .htaccess but when I do, I get errors browsing as it cannot
retrieve files in those directories; probably due to my .htaccess
forbidding.  Is there a way I can set it up so that access is denied but the
browser will still retrieve images and scripts automatically?

Thanks,
Don

Securing web site directories using Apache Server

Post by Nemesis Service » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 06:04:16

use the Options Directive for apache to hide directory contents

Quote:> Hello,

> My web site directory has many sub-directories such as:

> images
> scripts

> I'd like to prevent people from browsing when they type something like:

> http:///www.mywebsite.com/scripts

> I've tries using .htaccess but when I do, I get errors browsing as it
cannot
> retrieve files in those directories; probably due to my .htaccess
> forbidding.  Is there a way I can set it up so that access is denied but
the
> browser will still retrieve images and scripts automatically?

> Thanks,
> Don

Securing web site directories using Apache Server

Post by Don » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 05:50:15

As I'm rather new to Apache, I assume you are referring to the httpd.conf
file or would this be in separate .htaccess files?

Can you provide the syntax of the directive

Thanks,
Don

> use the Options Directive for apache to hide directory contents

> > Hello,

> > My web site directory has many sub-directories such as:

> > images
> > scripts

> > I'd like to prevent people from browsing when they type something like:

> > http:///www.mywebsite.com/scripts

> > I've tries using .htaccess but when I do, I get errors browsing as it
> cannot
> > retrieve files in those directories; probably due to my .htaccess
> > forbidding.  Is there a way I can set it up so that access is denied but
> the
> > browser will still retrieve images and scripts automatically?

> > Thanks,
> > Don

Securing web site directories using Apache Server

Post by Sean » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 14:44:13

in your httpd.conf file, use:
<Directory `path to document root'>
    Options -Indexes
</Directory>

> As I'm rather new to Apache, I assume you are referring to the httpd.conf
> file or would this be in separate .htaccess files?

> Can you provide the syntax of the directive

> Thanks,
> Don

> > use the Options Directive for apache to hide directory contents

> > > Hello,

> > > My web site directory has many sub-directories such as:

> > > images
> > > scripts

> > > I'd like to prevent people from browsing when they type something
like:

> > > http:///www.mywebsite.com/scripts

> > > I've tries using .htaccess but when I do, I get errors browsing as it
> > cannot
> > > retrieve files in those directories; probably due to my .htaccess
> > > forbidding.  Is there a way I can set it up so that access is denied
but
> > the
> > > browser will still retrieve images and scripts automatically?

> > > Thanks,
> > > Don

1. Building a secure web server using Apache and OpenSSL

Using apache and OpenSSL you can create your own secure web server to keep
authentication and other information private from prying eyes.

Having a secure web server is a vital necessity if you are doing on-line
administration, banking and/or e-commerce. You may just have personal
information you need to access over the web and wish to make secure. Using
a secure web server is perfect for these implementations.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/secure-server.html

2. duplicate user account

3. Allowing only access to my web site from a link to another web using APACHE

4. Shared library stuff with g++

5. Looking for high-volume, secure sites to share experiences using Apache

6. PPP 2.1.2b *really* slows down after 8 hours

7. what's the different between RH Secure web Server and Apache+SSL?

8. Need Help from GURUS with 7013 J30 Server

9. RH6.0 Secure Web Server (Apache/mod_ssl)

10. Using MAPS RBL to control access to Apache web site

11. Tru64 4.0g - Install Apache or Secure Web Server?

12. Can i host 2 web sites using Apache ?

13. Apache Web Server - How do I create the htaccess for secure dirs