Forbidden - directory access - in apache-1.3.4

Forbidden - directory access - in apache-1.3.4

Post by Cathy Chandr » Sat, 20 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I have just moved to apache from the ncsa_http webserver, and the
<Directory> options just do not seem to work the same.  I have been reading
comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix and have seen several threads in which
people seem to be having the same problems as I have had, and I have not yet
seen a satisfactory answer.

Our apache-1.3.4 has been built on a Digital alpha running Digital Unix V4.0D

My problem is that I do not seem to be able to redefine options down a
directory tree.

As a brief example of my problem - if I do not have the option "Indexes" set
on the DocumentRoot directory, I cannot see indices on any other directories
below it. An example message is .....

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /research/ on this server.

My paths are properly qualified, directory and file permissions are correct,
and ownership of files is as it has to be for the system.  A concious
decision has been made to allow users to maintain their own web pages which
hang off the departmental pages and the options for various dirctories are
necessarily different.

--

Unix Systems Administrator & DBA    phone: +64 03 479 8580
Computer Science Department,            fax:   +64 03 479 8529

Post by Joshua Sliv » Sat, 20 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> My problem is that I do not seem to be able to redefine options down a
> directory tree.
> As a brief example of my problem - if I do not have the option "Indexes" set
> on the DocumentRoot directory, I cannot see indices on any other directories
> below it. An example message is .....
> Forbidden
> You don't have permission to access /research/ on this server.
> My paths are properly qualified, directory and file permissions are correct,
> and ownership of files is as it has to be for the system.  A concious
> decision has been made to allow users to maintain their own web pages which
> hang off the departmental pages and the options for various dirctories are
> necessarily different.

How are you trying to change the Options?  With an .htaccess file?
If so, do you have the correct AllowOverride setting?

If this is not the problem, a few more details would help.  What
does the error log say?  You could also quote relevant portions
of the config files.

--
Joshua Slive

http://finance.commerce.ubc.ca/~slive/

Post by Cathy Chandr » Tue, 23 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> > My problem is that I do not seem to be able to redefine options down a
> > directory tree.
> > As a brief example of my problem - if I do not have the option "Indexes"
> > set on the DocumentRoot directory, I cannot see indices on any other
> > directories below it.

> How are you trying to change the Options?  With an .htaccess file?
> If so, do you have the correct AllowOverride setting?

At the moment, I am just trying to set up the way the server behaves
overall in httpd.conf. I haven't even started on .htaccess files yet.

Quote:

> If this is not the problem, a few more details would help.  What
> does the error log say?  You could also quote relevant portions
> of the config files.

Here are more details (I didn't want to stuff too many into the first
message in case it overwhelmed the reader)

Here is some relevant  information from the configuration file .....

Quote:> ServerRoot "/usr/local/apache"
> DocumentRoot "/b/users/www"
> <Directory />
>     AllowOverride NoneAllowOverride None
>     Options None
>     order deny,allow
>     deny from all
> </Directory>

(Putting "Options SymLinksIfOwnerMatch" instead of "Options None"
in <Directory /> makes NO difference to the error I am getting.)

Following is the configuration info for the DocumentRoot directory ...

Quote:> <Directory /b/users/www>
> AllowOverride None
> Options SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
> order deny,allow
> allow from all
> </Directory>

Here is the configuration info for a DocumentRoot sub_directory ...

Quote:> <Directory /research>

  (or <Directory /b/users/www/research> - its the same thing)

Quote:>     Options Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
>     AllowOverride None
>     order deny,allow
>     allow from all
> </Directory>

If I try to access the URL "http://www.cs.otago.ac.nz/research/d/images/"
I get

Quote:> Forbidden
> You don't have permission to access /research/d/images/ on this server.

And here is the relevant line from the eror_log ...

Quote:> Directory index forbidden by rule: /b/users/www/research/d/images/

If I include  "Indexes" in the <Directory /b/users/www> configuration,
I can then access the URL.

Just by the way,
If I put plus signs ("+") in front of each of the options, the error message
on the web page is the same, but that in the error_log file is different ..

httpd: [Mon Feb 22 12:00:08 1999] [error] [client 139.80.32.2]
Symbolic link not allowed: /b/users/www/research/

Even if I put in another sub_directory configuration (for
/b/users/www/research/d/images/) I still get the same error.

I don't really want to have to put in a configuration specification for
every ile in every direcory, anyway - just the DocumentRoot, and the top
level of any other directory or file which may need to be different.

Cathy

Post by Joshua Sliv » Tue, 23 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Here is the configuration info for a DocumentRoot sub_directory ...
>> <Directory /research>
>   (or <Directory /b/users/www/research> - its the same thing)

This is NOT the same thing.  See the documentation for
Options FollowSymLinks at http://www.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#options

--
Joshua Slive

http://finance.commerce.ubc.ca/~slive/

Forbidden - directory access - in apache-1.3.4

Post by Webmaste » Fri, 19 Mar 1999 04:00:00

try this:

<Directory />
Options +Indexes MultiViews IncludesNoExec FollowSymLinks
AddHandler server-parsed .shtml
AllowOverride All
</Directory>

>I have just moved to apache from the ncsa_http webserver, and the
><Directory> options just do not seem to work the same.  I have been reading
>comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix and have seen several threads in which
>people seem to be having the same problems as I have had, and I have not
yet
>seen a satisfactory answer.

>Our apache-1.3.4 has been built on a Digital alpha running Digital Unix
V4.0D

>My problem is that I do not seem to be able to redefine options down a
>directory tree.

>As a brief example of my problem - if I do not have the option "Indexes"
set
>on the DocumentRoot directory, I cannot see indices on any other
directories
>below it. An example message is .....

>Forbidden
>You don't have permission to access /research/ on this server.

>My paths are properly qualified, directory and file permissions are
correct,
>and ownership of files is as it has to be for the system.  A concious
>decision has been made to allow users to maintain their own web pages which
>hang off the departmental pages and the options for various dirctories are
>necessarily different.

>--

>Unix Systems Administrator & DBA phone: +64 03 479 8580
>Computer Science Department, fax:   +64 03 479 8529
>University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
>http://atlas.otago.ac.nz:800/staff/Cathy.html

1. Apache-1.3.4 and Segmentation Fault

I am new to Apache. I have a written a module as part of our product. I
have added the following lines in httpd.conf

LoadModule test_module /space/test/libtest.so
AddModule test.c
<Location  "/">
    SetHandler test-handler
</Location>

The idea is to intercept all URLs and hand them over to my handler. When
I try this out I get

[Mon Jan 29 01:13:04 2001] [notice] child pid 26633 exit signal
Segmentation Fault (11)

Before adding the Location directive, I was able to access the HTML
files of the web server. After adding it I get the same error for the
files.

This is my first module and I am confused as to what is wrong with the
Location directive given above.

I am using Apache-1.3.14 on Solaris 7. I had configured apache with

  configure --prefix=/space/apache1.3.14
            --with-port=8085
            --enable-module=so
            --enable-module=rewrite

Can anybody help.

Thanks

Karthik

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. how do I disable console screen saver?

3. Directory access forbidden by rule

4. HOW TO GET a 1152x900 res on Sony 17SF??

5. Forbidden 403 access to users public_html directory

6. port forwarding -- how??

7. Where is apache-1.3.4 RPM?

8. Racal ethernet drivers/programming info

9. Apache-1.3.4 + mod_ssl-2.2.5

10. Apache-1.3.4 + mod_ssl + mod_php3 + mod_frontpage on FreeBSD

11. Apache Directory index forbidden by rule??

12. Apache - All directories forbidden

13. Apache returns Forbidden when link leads to a directory even if .....