does apache handle also ftp and mail?

Post by Thomas Chaumon » Wed, 01 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm sorry if this doesn't really match the topic of the newsgroup, but I
think it does... The question is not as technical as the others I read
here and there ;-)

Ok, I'm setting up a free Web hosting service in France and I have some
questions. My first guess is that I should use a PC running either Linux
or Free BSD, plus Apache. My question is: is Apache only a HTTP server,
or can it also handle FTP, and/or POP3?

When I get the software, I will send you my technical problems, I
guess... Thanx in advance for your answers on this one!

Thomas

does apache handle also ftp and mail?

Post by Martin Kisse » Wed, 01 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Ok, I'm setting up a free Web hosting service in France

You really want to without any knowledge??

Quote:> use a PC running either Linux or Free BSD

for a webserver, the difference is not so big.

Quote:>is Apache only a HTTP server, or can it also handle FTP, and/or POP3?

Apache is a webserver without any FTP- or mailserver, see www.apache.org for
further information.

  Martin

does apache handle also ftp and mail?

Post by Richard Scranto » Thu, 02 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Like a deer in the headlights...

Run - do not walk - to get some competent technical help.  Securing mail, web,
and ftp services is a detailed, frustrating, and constant chore.  Good luck.

> Hi,

> I'm sorry if this doesn't really match the topic of the newsgroup, but I
> think it does... The question is not as technical as the others I read
> here and there ;-)

> Ok, I'm setting up a free Web hosting service in France and I have some
> questions. My first guess is that I should use a PC running either Linux
> or Free BSD, plus Apache. My question is: is Apache only a HTTP server,
> or can it also handle FTP, and/or POP3?

Technology is dominated by those who manage what they do not understand.
http://www.netcom.com/~scrantr/index.html

does apache handle also ftp and mail?

Post by David G. William » Mon, 20 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I had Ken at Inter7 set up my secure web-based e-mail server using both qmail and
vpopmail. He did a great job, is prompt and courteous.  www.inter7.com is where
you can find him.

Dave Williams
Cogenttechnology.com

> Like a deer in the headlights...

> Run - do not walk - to get some competent technical help.  Securing mail, web,
> and ftp services is a detailed, frustrating, and constant chore.  Good luck.

> > Hi,

> > I'm sorry if this doesn't really match the topic of the newsgroup, but I
> > think it does... The question is not as technical as the others I read
> > here and there ;-)

> > Ok, I'm setting up a free Web hosting service in France and I have some
> > questions. My first guess is that I should use a PC running either Linux
> > or Free BSD, plus Apache. My question is: is Apache only a HTTP server,
> > or can it also handle FTP, and/or POP3?

> --
> Technology is dominated by those who manage what they do not understand.
> http://www.netcom.com/~scrantr/index.html

does apache handle also ftp and mail?

Post by Fredrich P. Mane » Tue, 21 Dec 1999 04:00:00

:>
:> > Hi,
:> >
:> > I'm sorry if this doesn't really match the topic of the newsgroup, but I
:> > think it does... The question is not as technical as the others I read
:> > here and there ;-)
:> >
:> > Ok, I'm setting up a free Web hosting service in France and I have some
:> > questions. My first guess is that I should use a PC running either Linux
:> > or Free BSD, plus Apache. My question is: is Apache only a HTTP server,
:> > or can it also handle FTP, and/or POP3?

Well, I didn't see the original to this one, so I'm responding here.

Apache is only an HTTP server. It can with certain modules also be an
HTTPS server.

If you are going to be using FreeBSD or Linux you should be using
Sendmail for your MTA, with something like Qpopper for your POP3
and wuftp for your FTP. I *believe*, it's been a while since I installed
either FreeBSD or Linux, that all of these come with the install
as packages. However, once you install them, you will still need to
do a *lot* of customization to make them secure.

Best suggestion: find someone to help you who knows what they are
doing.

fpsm
--
| Fredrich P. Maney                                                   |

|          Fight Spam! Join CAUCE! == http://www.cauce.org/           |
|                Outlaw Junk Email! Support HR1748.                   |
|          "Sometimes, fear has a good and useful purpose."           |

1. Q: Handling large mail loads....how to distribute mail handling??

I've been dealing with relatively reasonable mail loads on an AIX 4.3.2
7025-f50 (3 155MHz processors) machine running sendmail V8.8....2800
users
and a 2GB /var/spool/mail.  But the days of clean and simple ASCII text
mail are passing and the direct and indirect consequences can be
substantial.
1) Someone puts a "pretty" graphic in an annoucement email and sends
that 250K file to 1000 users...now I have a 250MB lump in the mail
system.  And that's "legitimate"...
2) A few days ago, I had a clueless user attach a 4MB scanned image (the
text amounted to about 12K....the scanned image including dust specks
was 4MB) file to an email and send it to 1000 users on the mail
machine.  My mailbox filesystem went from 2GB to 6GB...that'sn
unjustifiable....but it happened.  Well, I've been pleasantly surprised
with how nicely the work got distributed over time instead of blocking
everything solid.
3) The worst load on the mail server lately was a two day degradation of
our T1 line into random noise.  By the time things were finally set to
rights the queued mail in /var/spool/mqueue was substantial and the F50
(usually at 20-30%) was running flat out for 30 minutes to clear it out.

All this is clearly a portent: "richer" mail (video clips, anyone?) and
heavier loads to come....point-and-click mail makes users dangerous!
So......the question: How does one handle really *substantial* loads.
Yes, a hotter machine and hotter NIC card...but that only goes so far.
How do you distribute mail load over more than one machine?  How do you
deal with mail service distributed over multiple machines, file systems
and NICs?

---

// as for the rest: wife,house,children, cars, music, garden....

2. Solaris 9, NIS, C2 security - no logins

3. How to handle mail on Apache 8.10

4. Updated beta release of "UNIX SA" knowledge test avl. at new site!

5. Apache ftp proxy not yet done?

6. Configuration PPPOE for Verizon DSL in RH7.3.

7. Matrox Mystique ands X.

8. Netscape Communicator??

9. new mail & FTP user under Apache/Linux Redhat; Subdomain name

10. Mailing List/Ftp By Mail

11. Can msdos file system handle double space DOS file system ?

12. How do I delete mail from mail file /var/mail/su after reading mails

13. DOS-Emu and File Handles...