Apache Questions

Post by Jeff Arled » Fri, 20 Dec 2002 07:33:40

I just inherited a unix server running Apache and I have a couple
questions.

How do I check the version of Apache and JServ?

Can I run a second instance of Apache on the same server that is
pointed to another port (such as 8080)?

Thank you for any help

Apache Questions

Post by Carsten Gaeble » Fri, 20 Dec 2002 08:08:13

> I just inherited a unix server running Apache and I have a couple
> questions.

> How do I check the version of Apache and JServ?

Just telnet to your Apache and issue a request. The Server line in the
response will (most probably) tell you the version number, e.g.:

Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.1
Connection: close

HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 22:59:37 GMT
Server: Apache/2.0.40 (Unix)

I don't know about JServ. Maybe it's a module, if so it will probably be
listed in the Server line.

Quote:> Can I run a second instance of Apache on the same server that is
> pointed to another port (such as 8080)?

Yes. But you don't need to. You can have one instance listen to as many
ports as you like and let Apache do different things on different ports.
Depending on whether you have Apache 1.3.x or 2.0.x the Port and/or
Listen directive is what you need. Just check out the documentation at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/

cg.

Apache Questions

Post by Johannes Marchar » Fri, 20 Dec 2002 08:23:32

Quote:> I just inherited a unix server running Apache and I have a couple
> questions.

> How do I check the version of Apache and JServ?

> Can I run a second instance of Apache on the same server that is
> pointed to another port (such as 8080)?

> Thank you for any help

to check the version
# ./httpd -v

to list the built in modules
# ./httpd -l

Best regards!

Apache Questions

Post by Jeff Arled » Fri, 20 Dec 2002 23:23:33

Carsten,
Thank you for the information.

Another question, the reason I need to setup a second instance is for
a development and a test enviroment.  I need one address to go to one
set of root directories and the second going to another root.

Any pointers etc?

Thanks,
Jeff

> > I just inherited a unix server running Apache and I have a couple
> > questions.

> > How do I check the version of Apache and JServ?

> Just telnet to your Apache and issue a request. The Server line in the
> response will (most probably) tell you the version number, e.g.:

> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> GET / HTTP/1.1
> Connection: close

> HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
> Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 22:59:37 GMT
> Server: Apache/2.0.40 (Unix)

> I don't know about JServ. Maybe it's a module, if so it will probably be
> listed in the Server line.

> > Can I run a second instance of Apache on the same server that is
> > pointed to another port (such as 8080)?

> Yes. But you don't need to. You can have one instance listen to as many
> ports as you like and let Apache do different things on different ports.
> Depending on whether you have Apache 1.3.x or 2.0.x the Port and/or
> Listen directive is what you need. Just check out the documentation at
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/

> cg.

Apache Questions

Post by Juha Laih » Sat, 21 Dec 2002 01:32:01

[Please don't top-post]

>> > I just inherited a unix server running Apache and I have a couple
>> > questions.

>> > How do I check the version of Apache and JServ?

>> Just telnet to your Apache and issue a request. The Server line in the
>> response will (most probably) tell you the version number, e.g.:
>> I don't know about JServ. Maybe it's a module, if so it will probably be
>> listed in the Server line.

My recollection is (but please verify this, I might confuse JServ with
something else) that JServ is somewhat obsoleted piece of software, and
the replacement for JServ is Tomcat.

Quote:>> > Can I run a second instance of Apache on the same server that is
>> > pointed to another port (such as 8080)?

>> Yes. But you don't need to. You can have one instance listen to as many
>> ports as you like and let Apache do different things on different ports.
>> Depending on whether you have Apache 1.3.x or 2.0.x the Port and/or
>> Listen directive is what you need. Just check out the documentation at
>> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/
>Another question, the reason I need to setup a second instance is for
>a development and a test enviroment.  I need one address to go to one
>set of root directories and the second going to another root.

>Any pointers etc?

This reason (multiple distinct document sets) is the typical reason for
wanting to run on multiple ports. And the Apache solution for letting
one server provide distinct document sets is to use virtual hosts. This
is explained within Apache documentation.

As you talk about JServ, I don't know how you would relate separate JServ
instances for separate virtual hosts. With Tomcat I know this is doable,
so you'd have one Tomcat serving the dynamic content for your test
environment, and thus completely separated from the other Tomcat that is
serving the dynamic content for your development environment.
--
Wolf  a.k.a.  Juha Laiho     Espoo, Finland

1. apache question, help please

I tried to install apache server using "httpd" on my local machine
running slackware. Although I tried to configure all the domain
names and IP address, but I was still unable to run httpd and I
keep getting the error message that says" Cannot determine the IP
address for ServerName (Name.Some-domain.com).

Can some experts out there give me some hints?

thanks!

yang

2. how to debug freeswan vpn link ?

3. newbie apache-question