Why do Netscape display plain text on apache?

Why do Netscape display plain text on apache?

Post by Rober » Thu, 02 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi there
I hope someone can help me with this small problem.
I have installed an apache server on my linux redhat 5.2 box
When using Netscape from a win95 client to browse on my linuxbox all
files with extension htm displays as plain text. I have tried to look in
the srm.conf file on the server and it all looks okay.
Also the settings on my netscape looks okay with the mime type set to
html whenever the extension is htm.
I should add that I have no problems with IE4 or IE5
Robert

Post by Joshua Sliv » Thu, 02 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> Hi there
> I hope someone can help me with this small problem.
> I have installed an apache server on my linux redhat 5.2 box
> When using Netscape from a win95 client to browse on my linuxbox all
> files with extension htm displays as plain text. I have tried to look in
> the srm.conf file on the server and it all looks okay.
> Also the settings on my netscape looks okay with the mime type set to
> html whenever the extension is htm.
> I should add that I have no problems with IE4 or IE5

See:
http://www.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#redhat-htm

--
Joshua Slive

http://finance.commerce.ubc.ca/~slive/

1. Apache + Tomcat + Netscape = plain text output

Using:

Apache 1.3.24
Tomcat 3.3.1
Netscape 4.79 and 6.2 (same result)

Tomcat is connected to Apache using mod_jk. Our application on Tomcat
is accessed via a single entry servlet (i.e. no JSP pages are directly
acccessed).

Connecting to the application through Apache or directly through
Tomcat with IE works perfectly (testing with 5.0, 5.5, and
6.0).Attempting to access the application with Netscape directly
through Tomcat works fine. The expected HTML is retrieved and
displayed in exactly the same manner as it is in IE. When we attempt
to connect to the application with Netscape through Apache, the
response is rendered in the browser as plain text.

Accessing Tomcat directly with Netscape does not show the problem so I
am assuming that the issue has to do with the Apache's interaction
with Tomcat, but honestly, I have no idea. I have scoured the usenet
for a potential answer, but I am stumped.

I am enclosing the relevant section of my configuration file (the
<VirtualHost> section). Thanks for any help you might be able to
offer.

Matt Welch

-----------------------

<VirtualHost *>
        DocumentRoot /docrootlocation
        ServerName demo.server.com
        JkMount /coachlms ajpdemo15
        JkMount /coachlms/* ajpdemo15
        <Location /coachlms/WEB-INF/>
            AllowOverride None
            deny from all
        </Location>
</VirtualHost>

2. Video "crash" with Redhat installation?

3. Why does a Web browser running under Linux show Python CGI scripts as plain text?!

4. Kernel panic and SCSI caliper tape

5. Apache and IE: viewing plain text log files

6. Hurumph :)

7. VirtualHost enabled causes Apache to crash Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

8. Microsoft embraces cable television, MSNBC.com

9. Apache 1.0.3 forces all docs to text/plain

10. Apache sending .htm as plain text...

11. Apache servering up page as plain/text

12. Apache occasionally serving CSS files as plain text

13. Plain Text Perl: Apache 1.3.11