Use of an external file listing hostnames for access control

Use of an external file listing hostnames for access control

Post by Joseph Roundtre » Wed, 04 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I would like to cordon off directories in a web site according to the
following scheme:
    IF Cadence, THEN
        Top_Page
        IF Csd, THEN
            Level_2
            IF Analog, THEN
                Level_3
            ELSE
                authenticate
    FI
Clients would be filtered based on either hostname, user authentication,
or
both in some sequence or other.  Now, although I am aware of the
facilities
within Apache for dealing with this situation( mod_access, mod_auth, etc
),
my question is:
        Is there a facility or method for getting the Apache server to
use
        an external file as the source of the hostnames to allow or
deny,
        and where should this file be best placed.  Further, within the
files
        that are the context for host-based access, ie. conf/access.conf
and
        .htaccess, can  the formatting of the allow/deny directives be
as
        shown below:
                 order deny,allow
                 deny from all
                 allow from .ncsa.uiuc.edu
                            .wam.umd.edu
                            .microsoft.com
                            .american.edu
                                   .
                                   .
                                   .
                            .loc.gov

    Thank You,
    J. Roundtree

1. Specific Permissinon Control//Access Control List for Linux?

Is there a way that a regular user (non superuser) on Linux can
specifically control which other users can see his files?  For
example, suppose I want a certain friend to be able to read certain
files but not anyone else.

On the (old) HP's at Idaho State this can be done with an Access
Control List, which each file may have.  The draw back is that
consumes a little more diskspace.  Is something like this possible
within Linux?

John Thompson
--
http://www.isu.edu/~thomjohn/

2. DECNET/PATHWORKS and Linux

3. ACL (access control list) howto list them?

4. ?Booting up from SCSI?

5. Needed FACL under SCO (file access control list)

6. help Linux will not boot off HD

7. access control list for files

8. A useless cat opportunity

9. accessing external environment lists