Need help on DBM authentication

Post by webmas.. » Tue, 02 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I keep getting the following error when trying to authenticate users to
a protected directory.  The .htaccess file has the following lines in
it:

AuthName "Members Only"
AuthType Basic
AuthDBMUserFile /usr/passwords/password-file
<Limit GET POST> require valid-user</Limit>

Upon trying to get validated the following error occurs:

Internal Server Error

unable to complete your request.

inform them of the time the error occurred, and
anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

/domains/hcs/start/members/.htaccess: Invalid command 'AuthDBMUserFile',
perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not
included in the server configuration

I tried using apache 1.3 and 1.4 and both get the same message.

Please help

Post by Joshua Sliv » Tue, 02 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I keep getting the following error when trying to authenticate users to
> a protected directory.  The .htaccess file has the following lines in
> it:
> AuthName "Members Only"
> AuthType Basic
> AuthDBMUserFile /usr/passwords/password-file
> <Limit GET POST> require valid-user</Limit>
> Upon trying to get validated the following error occurs:
> Internal Server Error
> unable to complete your request.

> inform them of the time the error occurred, and
> anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
> /domains/hcs/start/members/.htaccess: Invalid command 'AuthDBMUserFile',
> perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not
> included in the server configuration

1. Did you compile mod_auth_dbm into the server or link it in
dynamically?  You will need to do this before you can use it.

2. Get rid of the <Limit GET POST> and </Limit> parts of that line.
They are more than likely unecessary and probably a security risk
in this setting.

--
Joshua Slive

http://finance.commerce.ubc.ca/~slive/